The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

We have a wedding in Rehobeth Beach DE and taking the camper, driving into Debby's butthole might get spicy

Wait what?! School is already in session?
There are public schools that are year round in the Triangle area.

Traditional schedule starts in August. Some K-12 schools start mid-August. High schools starts the last week of August.

Freshman orientation for colleges start mid-August. Adjusting to the idea of classes before Labor Day was a culture shock when I moved to NC in high school. I stayed for college and grad school.

Flood warnings all over central NC for today, Aug. 8. A few tornado warnings early in the morning but nothing sighted by 7am. My house is under the "RA" in RALEIGH on the flood risk map created by WRAL, the local TV station I pay attention to during big storms.

Glad the preschool where my daughter works decided yesterday afternoon to be closed today so she didn't have to worry about driving. All the county-wide K-12 public school systems around Raleigh are closed, as well as private schools.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 6.57.23 AM.jpg

Wundermap is how I pay attention to storm systems. Counties with flood warnings are in green and go up into upstate NY. The Marine warnings go all the way up the Atlantic coast into MA. The yellow lines on the second screenshot show the predicted storm track for Debbie.

August 8, 7am
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 7.03.59 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 7.20.02 AM.jpg

The PGA Tour Wyndham Championship was supposed to start this morning in Greensboro (an hour's drive northwest of Raleigh). The start has been postponed until at least mid-afternoon. Announced yesterday that no spectators would be allowed all day. People with tickets for Thursday can use them any other day. A lot of big name players involved, so big news for pro golf fans. I considered going but wasn't willing to buy a $75 grounds ticket until the weather forecast was clearer. When I saw on Monday that Friday was sold out, I wasn't that disappointed.

There are public schools that are year round in the Triangle area.

Traditional schedule starts in August. Some K-12 schools start mid-August. High schools starts the last week of August.

Freshman orientation for colleges start mid-August. Adjusting to the idea of classes before Labor Day was a culture shock when I moved to NC in high school. I stayed for college and grad school.

I knew [public] school started in late August in parts of the south. I was today years old when I learned about year round school.

Flood warnings all over central NC for today, Aug. 8. A few tornado warnings early in the morning but nothing sighted by 7am. My house is under the "RA" in RALEIGH on the flood risk map created by WRAL, the local TV station I pay attention to during big storms.

Glad the preschool where my daughter works decided yesterday afternoon to be closed today so she didn't have to worry about driving. All the county-wide K-12 public school systems around Raleigh are closed, as well as private schools.

View attachment 25452

Wundermap is how I pay attention to storm systems. Counties with flood warnings are in green and go up into upstate NY. The Marine warnings go all the way up the Atlantic coast into MA. The yellow lines on the second screenshot show the predicted storm track for Debbie.

August 8, 7am
View attachment 25453
View attachment 25454

The PGA Tour Wyndham Championship was supposed to start this morning in Greensboro (an hour's drive northwest of Raleigh). The start has been postponed until at least mid-afternoon. Announced yesterday that no spectators would be allowed all day. People with tickets for Thursday can use them any other day. A lot of big name players involved, so big news for pro golf fans. I considered going but wasn't willing to buy a $75 grounds ticket until the weather forecast was clearer. When I saw on Monday that Friday was sold out, I wasn't that disappointed.
Good luck dealing with the flooding. Hope all goes OK.

Good luck dealing with the flooding. Hope all goes OK.
Thanks. While there are parts of central NC that will have to worry about river flooding for a few days, the Raleigh area is already in the clear. I saw that some places were reporting 4+ inches as of a few hours ago. I got 2.5 inches in my yard starting some time early this morning.

I decided to go to my dentist appointment since the office is in northeast Raleigh and they decided yesterday to be open today. Was raining when I went around 11:30. By the time I was headed home, I-540 was almost dry already.

As for the Wyndham Championship golf tournament, they have given up until Friday morning. Heavy rain bands continuing there until early evening.

TS Debbie finally started moving faster and made it out of NC by late evening. A few small tornados touched down in southeastern NC as the storm moved through. The mid-Atlantic and northeast is going to be dumped on in the next day or three by the remnants combined with the other storm system.

TS Debbie left NC by about 11pm, August 8
Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 7.48.43 AM.jpg

Flood and marine warnings as of August 9, about 8am
Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 7.45.14 AM.jpg

Back