The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

No doubt, the weather has been wild this summer. Tornado in Buffalo yesterday.

I'm over it. The humidity has been killing me. I'm ready for cool temps and 🔥

inmasirct_.gif

There is some crazy shit headed here.

A major river for salmon in western Canada is a mess. There was a natural slide that created a temporary dam on the Chilcotin River. The dam naturally opened up recently and all the slide debris is heading downstream.

August 5, 2024

A major river for salmon in western Canada is a mess. There was a natural slide that created a temporary dam on the Chilcotin River. The dam naturally opened up recently and all the slide debris is heading downstream.
Video of damage is starting to show up. Yikes!

There is a map in this report that shows the rivers involved, which end in Vancouver. The salmon run is expected in a couple weeks. The hope is that the debris will have made it through by then.

August 7, 2024

If yer planning to hike the High Peaks this weekend, ya might want to make other plans because heavy rain. Flooding in the back country.

Meanwhile the NC coast is bracing for Hurricane Debbie rains. Quite a few counties have closed school for today, probably tomorrow and Friday too. Heavy rains with flood warnings start late this afternoon in Raleigh.

Meanwhile the NC coast is bracing for Hurricane Debbie rains. Quite a few counties have closed school for today, probably tomorrow and Friday too. Heavy rains with flood warnings start late this afternoon in Raleigh.

Wait what?! School is already in session?

Just got back from a "weekend" trip to St. Petersburg, FL. Was supposed to fly out Sunday night. Rebooked two flights that were cancelled Monday. Drove to Orlando to catch a flight back through Raleigh, NC yesterday.Finally got back to Philly late last night to torrential rain. Got drenched just throwing the bags in the trunk of the Uber and jumping in the car. $125.00 Uber trip home. Gave the guy a 25% tip for driving through a monsoon. Got to my girlfriends house and her new battery was dead. Had to take an Uber to work today because my car is at Allentown airport.
I hate Florida. Have to go to a wedding there in November. If there's so much as a cloud off the coast of Africa I'm not going.

Back