Sweet Cars and Trucks

I drove with my daughter in her prius, the twelve-year-old car that we 'gave' her.

She absolutely flogs that thing she's probably barely getting 45 mpg.

That's fine with me but I don't think she realizes is that if she babies that car a little she could have it for 5 years.

Who knows. That car's amazing it's never really had a repair that wasn't due to operator error. 150k and it's all original except for the brakes. And they went well after 100k.

I thought about proposing: if you can get through 4 years of college with it, I'll give you $Xk dollars toward something new when you graduate. Or is that a dick move, just let her wail on it?

I thought about proposing: if you can get through 4 years of college with it, I'll give you $Xk dollars toward something new when you graduate. Or is that a dick move, just let her wail on it?
Proposal should go with the offer to teach her basics that will help extend the life of the car.

Our daughter had the 250K+ mile minivan for college. She had a few little incidents that didn't require telling the insurance company (no other cars/people involved). What she did was research what type of car she wanted as a graduation present. Her first choice was a used or new Subaru Crosstrek (older cousin had one). When she finished a year early, her father opted to let her have the 2021 RAV4 Prime instead. He didn't get any argument from her. He's still holding onto the minivan.

Proposal should go with the offer to teach her basics that will help extend the life of the car.

Our daughter had the 250K+ mile minivan for college. She had a few little incidents that didn't require telling the insurance company (no other cars/people involved). What she did was research what type of car she wanted as a graduation present. Her first choice was a used or new Subaru Crosstrek (older cousin had one). When she finished a year early, her father opted to let her have the 2021 RAV4 Prime instead. He didn't get any argument from her. He's still holding onto the minivan.
I mean the only thing I'd teacher would be to change the oil regularly, accelerate gently most of the time and stomp on it when you need to. Same with the brakes.

But it has to be her idea. if I propose it it'll never happen.

The Rav is a sweet gift for a college grad.

I mean the only thing I'd teacher would be to change the oil regularly, accelerate gently most of the time and stomp on it when you need to. Same with the brakes.

But it has to be her idea. if I propose it it'll never happen.
The trick to teaching at times is to figure out the right questions to ask. Then listen carefully to the answers . . . or lack of answers.

Best of luck!

PXL_20240802_134226688.jpg

Back