Willard Mountain 2/28/2021

billyb3

We were visiting family about 20 minutes away, so we decided to head over to Willard Mountain for a few hours. It is about 40 minutes north of Albany and has 505 ft of vertical. We had a great time! Nice warm temps, soft snow, friendly staff, solid terrain, and no lines.

They have two side-by-side double chairs that serve the summit. The lift on looker's right is the older but "faster" lift. Per the sign at the bottom, it does not have a "slow" mode, it is either running full speed or stopped. They appear to only run this during busier times. It stopped around 3PM as people started to leave. The lift on looker's left is their newer double (I believe this replaced a T-bar a few (many?) years ago?). It runs a bit slower and noticeably easier to load. It drops off very slightly higher on the summit and makes it easier to reach the green "Bunny Hop" trail. It is a little hard to tell from the pictures, the main face (Upper/Lower Colonel) has a nice pitch, especially if you stay on the side closer to the lifts. The race team had gates setup for a bit and was cool with us taking a few laps.

lifts1.jpg

lifts2.jpg

We did not visit the "small" learning center next to the lodge, but took a run on the handle tow in the "large" learning center that is next to the tubing park. The boy was thrilled to try it out and picked it up without any issues.

handle.jpg

viewfromrope.jpg

There are two glades on the trail map. "Bear Path" (left) is below the blue trails coming from the summit. It is very flat, trees are spaced far apart...perfect for getting people comfortable with the idea. East Glade (right) is on the "black" side of the mountain and is pretty solid. Not too steep, but a lot of fun. Reminded me of Big T or Belleayre Glade at Belleayre. Although, it is getting a bit thin in spots...
bearpath.jpg

east glade.jpg

I'm extremely jealous of their mini chairlift inside the lodge!

Overall, we had a great day!
fam.jpg

p.s. For reference, they have a nice little (VistaMap) trail map here: http://www.willardmountain.com/trail-map

Reading comprehension isn't my specialty. :sneaky::sleep:

We were visiting family about 20 minutes away, so we decided to head over to Willard Mountain for a few hours. It is about 40 minutes north of Albany and has 505 ft of vertical. We had a great time! Nice warm temps, soft snow, friendly staff, solid terrain, and no lines.

They have two side-by-side double chairs that serve the summit. The lift on looker's right is the older but "faster" lift. Per the sign at the bottom, it does not have a "slow" mode, it is either running full speed or stopped. They appear to only run this during busier times. It stopped around 3PM as people started to leave. The lift on looker's left is their newer double (I believe this replaced a T-bar a few (many?) years ago?). It runs a bit slower and noticeably easier to load. It drops off very slightly higher on the summit and makes it easier to reach the green "Bunny Hop" trail. It is a little hard to tell from the pictures, the main face (Upper/Lower Colonel) has a nice pitch, especially if you stay on the side closer to the lifts. The race team had gates setup for a bit and was cool with us taking a few laps.

View attachment 8393
View attachment 8394

We did not visit the "small" learning center next to the lodge, but took a run on the handle tow in the "large" learning center that is next to the tubing park. The boy was thrilled to try it out and picked it up without any issues.

View attachment 8395
View attachment 8396

There are two glades on the trail map. "Bear Path" (left) is below the blue trails coming from the summit. It is very flat, trees are spaced far apart...perfect for getting people comfortable with the idea. East Glade (right) is on the "black" side of the mountain and is pretty solid. Not too steep, but a lot of fun. Reminded me of Big T or Belleayre Glade at Belleayre. Although, it is getting a bit thin in spots...
View attachment 8400
View attachment 8397

I'm extremely jealous of their mini chairlift inside the lodge!

Overall, we had a great day!
View attachment 8399

p.s. For reference, they have a nice little (VistaMap) trail map here: http://www.willardmountain.com/trail-map
Glad you enjoyed it! Chic and his crew do a great job there, and it's where countless kids in the Capital District learn to ski. They also have a top-notch race team that cleans the clocks of their VT counterparts routinely.

To me it feels like in that part of NY, VT is spilling in a little.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 3.34.54 PM.png

Great TR btw. I’ve been intending to check Willard out this season but you and Stu beat me to it.

Vermont tried to take that area by force once. They wanted to push the border over to the Hudson. They failed.
Thank goodness. Those hosers!

Back