Wildlife

5 cubs? Must be some kind of record. I seen three but never five.

Exactly!!!! One can only assume that they all belong to the mamma shown in the picture. They must be?? I can't imagine another mamma bear letting her cubs roam around with another litter.

Here's one in Virgil
3672.jpeg

Attachments

• 3672.jpeg
    3672.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 81
I don’t know if the official numbers back it up but I feel like the bear population has just exploded in recent years. I never used to see them anywhere but this summer I saw two road killed on the thruway and a live one on the side of 17. Locally, FB is full of people spotting them in backyards too

About two weeks ago, while waiting for the drywall mud to dry, I went for a walk in the woods. At about mid-way in my planned loop the spidey-sense was activated, and I looked up from examining mushrooms. Bear. About 10 metres ahead (35ish feet for you folks), sitting still and looking right at me. Huh. I gave it my usual greeting ("hello, bear!") and it took off in the opposite direction, following the route I intended to walk. After pondering my options, I continued on, now focused on stepping on breakable sticks, scanning the forest for LBFOs (large black furry objects) and clapping my hands every now and then. No further sightings.

I've had a few bear encounters on out property and elsewhere. All have had positive outcomes though were not without some worry. If you live in bear country or are simply interested in bear behavior, I highly recommend this book:

Bear Attacks: Thier Causes and Avoidance, by Dr. Stephen Herrero. A bit gruesome but very educational.

Back