Wild Harvest

Ripitz

Foraging has been a fun pastime for me. It’s the ultimate scavenger hunt. Sensing the seasons, looking for signs, reading the weather, knowing the fields and forests… Every year I seemingly learn more, acquire more skills and get better at it.

Last week the Peanut and I took a walk on our mushroom trail. The golden chanterelles were just starting to pop. Most years they come up during a drought and quickly dry up. This year, because of all of the rain, they are everywhere. Looks like we’re having chanterelles and eggs for breakfast.
1627254078854.jpeg

1627254219713.jpeg

1627254271836.jpeg

Foraging has been a fun pastime for me. It’s the ultimate scavenger hunt. Sensing the seasons, looking for signs, reading the weather, knowing the fields and forests… Every year I seemingly learn more, acquire more skills and get better at it.

Last week the Peanut and I took a walk on our mushroom trail. The golden chanterelles were just starting to pop. Most years they come up during a drought and quickly dry up. This year, because of all of the rain, they are everywhere. Looks like we’re having chanterelles and eggs for breakfast.
View attachment 9863
View attachment 9864
View attachment 9865
Jackpot, I got skunked on Morels this year. Hopefully find some chanterelles

This thing is growing under a big maple in the yard. It’s had a couple more days growing since pic was snapped.
1628004915148.png

The Busch was free, cold and open.
I’ve never ate puffball but Mom used to eat em for some reason.
Might harvest it and put it on the grill after watching the videos Sbob.

Last edited:
If you cut it open and it is green or starting to turn yellow, do not eat. It must be solid white all the way through. Also do not put them in a dehydrator. A local guy did that and it spored out in his house like crazy and the fungus started growing in his head and fucked up his brain. Other than that they are fine. Found a couple the size of soccer balls once up on the Aqueduct. Sliced them thin, breaded and fried they fed 12 people with a bunch leftover.

Outside looks clean. It’s been going for at least 5 days but it’s been cool, shady and somewhat damp under the big tree.
Don’t need any more stuff in my head than what’s already there.

A local guy did that and it spored out in his house like crazy and the fungus started growing in his head and fucked up his brain.
Hmmm, maybe that's what's wrong with me. Fungus on the brain. Could explain a lot.? Did he enjoy the puff balls otherwise?

Back