What is up with the bike shops?

Tjf1967

a week isn't bad..some shops are saying a month

That's BS they are caught up. They are acting like big wigs now. I brought my bike in to a shop in Delmar. Didn't buy it from them...and asked if they worked on bikes that were not purchased from them. I Changed a tire and messed something up. It was a 5 minute fix and I figured it out when I was watching him diagnose it. He was like 100 dollar tune up ok with you. I just had one done a month ago but I said OK cause I need someone to work on my bikes. They told me two weeks, I let them know I had a ride Thursday night and I will pick it up during the day Thursday. They tried to pretend they were busy, It was BS they are caught up. They ended up changing my chain to. 140 dollars later and I got my bike back running smoothly on the Thursday.. If I went to the shop where I purchased it they would have fixed it on the spot and had me out the door.

I don't understand why they can't give me an appointment. I have to leave it there? Plus they are working reduced covid hours whatever that means.

They did do a flat on the spot for me ("$70, you need a new tire, the only one we have is expensive, all out of the cheaper ones") and gave my daughter new break pads.

I do know they can't get any new bikes to sell, the shelves are bare, so that is surely putting the hurt on them.

This is my local shop, and they were very cool when I bought my bike. They let me take all kinds of bikes out and get them dirty. One bike I tested was $5k.

yea i waited a week to have a spoke replaced earlier this summer... just rode gravel instead of mtb.
i'm lucky we have alot of good shops around. we were camping a few weeks ago and there was a big group of riders from north/central jerz and one of the guys had a saucon bikes t-shirt, he says their shops suck and drives the hour+ to the lehigh valley

That BS they are caught up. They are acting like big wigs now. I brought my bike in to a shop in Delmar. Didn't buy it from them...and asked if they worked on bikes that were not purchased from them. I Changed a tire and messed something up. It was a 5 minute fix and I figured it out when I was watching him diagnose it. He was like 100 dollar tune up ok with you. I just had one done a month ago but I said OK cause I need someone to work on my bikes. They told me two weeks, I let them know I had a ride Thursday night and I will pick it up during the day Thursday. They tried to pretend they were busy, It was BS they are caught up. They ended up changing my chain to. 140 dollars later and I got my bike back running smoothly on the Thursday.. If I went to the shop where I purchased it they would have fixed it on the spot and had me out the door.

i was in the shop a couple of weeks ago...they were a bunch of prima donnas.. i need a new bike, i might try a direct to consumer brand..

That's BS they are caught up. They are acting like big wigs now. I brought my bike in to a shop in Delmar. Didn't buy it from them...and asked if they worked on bikes that were not purchased from them. I Changed a tire and messed something up. It was a 5 minute fix and I figured it out when I was watching him diagnose it. He was like 100 dollar tune up ok with you. I just had one done a month ago but I said OK cause I need someone to work on my bikes. They told me two weeks, I let them know I had a ride Thursday night and I will pick it up during the day Thursday. They tried to pretend they were busy, It was BS they are caught up. They ended up changing my chain to. 140 dollars later and I got my bike back running smoothly on the Thursday.. If I went to the shop where I purchased it they would have fixed it on the spot and had me out the door.

I know your're down this way from time to time. There's a good shop here in town called Action Sports. Telling you because if you're in a pinch I'm sure he can help you out.

i was in the shop a couple of weeks ago...they were a bunch of prima donnas.. i need a new bike, i might try a direct to consumer brand..
That's tough cause there are good ones around. Syracuse bike has been excellent with a friend of mine. They work on her bike the same day she calls... She did buy it there. Planet planet has been nothing but nice to me. I don't live up there anymore but go up on Tuesdays...pre covid. I would drop the bike off on the way by and lock it to their bike rack. They would work on it and I would get it in the way out of town. They had a guy that could true my campanello derailers that would make them feel like butter.
The guys in delmar are probably good guy just didn't jive with them.
And if your getting a new bike go 150 29rr. Spend the money and get one around 31 lbs. Like the Santa Cruz megatower

I'm looking at the Santa Cruz 5010 or Ibis Ripmo AF.. I like 130 rear 150 up front...

I'm looking at the Santa Cruz 5010 or Ibis Ripmo AF.. I like 130 rear 150 up front...
That is plenty. I'm only sporting 120/130 on my Django, which is plenty for me and the terrain I ride. If you recall I like to climb.

I’m a big fan of High Adventure Bike And Ski in Latham. Quick turn-around and honest service. I know the delmar shop. Had to get an inner tube fast and went to them. They charged me double what high adventure charged. I avoid the delmar shop for its premium pricing and elitist attitude.

Back