Welcome to NYS!

jamesdeluxe

The pic below was posted on Facebook. Visitors from Quebec can't say that they haven't been warned; however, it's not a welcoming sight. I can't remember if there's a similar display crossing into Canada.

365744610_779402980658979_6265622000775397096_n.jpg

Reminds me of January 2012 when my wife and I were returning from a ski trip in the Laurentians. A state trooper was parked on the side of the road just south of the border waiting to bust people who weren't obeying the then-new "Move Over Law." While you can't argue about the reason for it -- preventing officers from being hit by cars on traffic stops -- it had been enacted only ten days earlier so very few people were aware and there was no signage. My wife was pulled over along with four other cars just ahead of us; two of which were French-Canadians who had zero idea about it. I felt that a warning would've been enough but nothing helps instill a desired behavior like a stiff fine.

Anyone else have a "Welcome to New York, The Empire State" story?

The pic below was posted on Facebook. Visitors from Quebec can't say that they haven't been warned; however, it's not a welcoming sight. I can't remember if there's a similar display crossing into Canada.

View attachment 20794

Reminds me of January 2012 when my wife and I were returning from a ski trip in the Laurentians. A state trooper was parked on the side of the road just south of the border waiting to bust people who weren't obeying the then-new "Move Over Law." While you can't argue about the reason for it -- preventing officers from being hit by cars on traffic stops -- it had been enacted only ten days earlier so very few people were aware and there was no signage. My wife was pulled over along with four other cars just ahead of us; two of which were French-Canadians who had zero idea about it. I felt that a warning would've been enough but nothing helps instill a desired behavior like a stiff fine.

That signage looks okay. They only one that seems antagonistic is the Neighborhood watch sign. Lots of the other things are just telling you where you are.

I think that “move over” rule is okay, but I think the law started in Canada & NY State at the same time (January 1, 2012). Canadians can correct me on this if I’m wrong.

"Welcome to New York, The Empire State"

My only story is that whenever I see that sign, I smile.

It makes me forget about the gov mario bridge sign I just passed.

I think that “move over” rule is okay, but I think the law started in Canada & NY State at the same time (January 1, 2012). Canadians can correct me on this if I’m wrong.
So it’s already been a decade? Time sure flies nowadays

If Johnny Law wrote a ticket for every driver who didn't turn on their headlights while running windshield wipers, both NY and NJ would have handsome budget surpluses.

View attachment 20794
Constable NY had one of the first "duty free” shops. YMMV.

Back