The Horse Thread

No- percheron/ quarter horse cross.
She was a big girl with great manners so she got the big (or scared) guests but she was usually smarter then her riders so she got away with being lazy and eating on the trail. No matter where I put her in line, she’d take advantage and drop back one spot after another til she was at the rear and then she’d rail further and further back. I would constantly call back “ come on, Susie!” And her ears would perk up and she’d take two or three quicker steps while I was looking and then go back to browsing. It was pretty hilarious but frustrating too. when we didn’t have any heavyweight guests and I didn’t have a guide-only horse working, I would take her myself and her personality was transformed. All business, ears up, looking around, She was a great lead horse.

She loved to scratch her forehead on my back, which was also funny because she was so big and strong if I wasn’t paying attention Id practically be flung across the yard. Some times I would take a good, firm stance and lean into it so she could get some leverage. I was better then letting her scratch her forehead on a post or something I guess.

This guy was named Buck. He was the hands- down unchallenged ruler of the herd. Nobody fucked with Buck but once in a while he’d give one of the others a kick or a bite just to remind them.

69D41688-39CC-4D8D-98BD-A4832243A197.jpeg

Horses are poorly designed critters. They are thousand pound prey animals with minds of their own. They have ginormous digestive tracts, but they can't throw up. If they eat something bad, it's BAD and $$$ vet call. The average riding horse has a cannon bone (lower leg) circumference of about 9 inches. They stand on what used to be their middle finger, now the hoof, which is a complicated and amazing sling of parts.

Horse ownership is not for the faint of heart. Draco has "Sweet Itch". He's allergic to the bites of the midges. He's very high maintenance from mid-April to mid-October. He has goop (Swat) on his belly, wears a sheet, neck cover and fly mask in addition to fly spray. I ride early in the morning because he is so sensitive to the bugs. If I slack off, he gets open wounds, and I'm not ok with that.

That said, they are amazing. They are so smart, and so sensitive. It's a complete and total addiction. After I came off him ten years ago and fractured my L1, the only thing I could think about what getting back on. I was beyond terrified when I did. I have lost much of my confidence, but I still wake up in the morning and look forward to seeing and getting on my horse.

This is me and Katie the WonderPony. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

"After I came off him" understatement of the year?

What do the ear mittens do? Doesn't look cold you are in short sleeves.

Love these pictures and tales.

20210509_102242.jpg

Zoomed

"After I came off him" understatement of the year?

What do the ear mittens do? Doesn't look cold you are in short sleeves.

Love these pictures and tales.
Here's an understatement. My son said, "Mom, you just sat down hard." I had a burst fracture, about 60/40. I lucked out, big time. My spinal cord was fine. Draco spooked and went sideways. I hit the ground hard. Then, I got up and grabbed him. Because I was in so much pain, I undid the saddle, which was under his belly because of the spook, left it on the ground, and walked him back to the barn. I put him in his stall and walked home, which is just down the road. I figured I would ice my back, go back and longe him. (Work him in a circle on a long rein.) After a shower, ibuprofen and more ice didn't work, my son who was 14 told me "Mom, you can break your back without being paralyzed. Sean is going to pick me up to take me to the paintball field." Eventually, I got smart, and called my parents, who came and picked me up and took me to the ER. I hurt all the way. Once I got there, they gave me high-test pain meds, an x-ray, strapped me to a board and sent me to Upstate via ambulance. My parents picked up my son, and they waited with me until I finally got admitted. Don't crash and burn on a Saturday. The ER is jamming with gunshot wounds and stuff. I waited in the hallway. I ended up in surgery on Tuesday, I think. I have screws and plates that stabilized the L1. We joke that I am bionic. :) I used to have the x-rays, but can't find them. I was able to get on Draco about six weeks afterwards. I sat on him for about five minutes, and almost threw up because I was so scared. But, I tried every day. And, every day since then, I push myself a little bit more. Now, most of the time, when he spooks or gets goofy, I'm ok . I do hop off quickly if I am concerned, and I'm ok with that. I did come off over the winter. He spooked, and I was pretty much sideways on his left side. I usually can save those, but this time, I chose to let go I go up, said "Really???" and got back on. In about two minutes, the nerves were gone. I was happy with that.

Ear mittens, are actually a fly bonnet to protect from flies. I do tend to ride in short sleeves once it's warmer. You actually work hard, once the temps are above 60ish, plus I have a helmet and gloves, and tall boots. You keep warm.

Back