The Horse Thread

wonderpony

Wp lately when I ride through the stables and corals (totally allowed horses get right of way) the horses are running. Is that a spring thing? I don't think I'm bothering them they are running before I arrive.

I have questions about horses maybe we should have a thread.
Harvey, where are you riding through? Are you on a bike? Is there a human on the horse, or are they just hanging? I am always happy to talk about my favorite thing. :) Nothing is beats strapping a couple of boards on your feet to go down a mountain, unless it's getting on a thousand pound prey animal with a mind of its own. :)

Harvey, where are you riding through? Are you on a bike? Is there a human on the horse, or are they just hanging? I am always happy to talk about my favorite thing. :) Nothing is beats strapping a couple of boards on your feet to go down a mountain, unless it's getting on a thousand pound prey animal with a mind of its own. :)
Black flies?

No black flies.

It's this huge equestrian center that I think owned by the county, the same entity that owns the miles of gravel trails and limited amount of single track near my house.

There's technically a bike path in the center but it doesn't go all the way through. And yea, you do come to a point where a sign says "no bikes beyond this point."

It's a crucial connection for me, it connects our woods with the rest of the system. The first few times I got off and walked it. Eventually I started riding, slowly along the edge of the woods.

The horses are in huge corrals (do they call them that?) I've rarely been closer than 50 yards from a horse, except occasionally they'd get curious and walk over to me. Sometimes the horse are giving lessons. Usually they are just chilling but lately they are running a lot. They don't seem unhappy to me, maybe they are flirting.

Today I actually came across a lesson on the bike path. There are signs all around that show that bikes and walkers yielding to horses. I dismounted, they said thank you, and walked by.

animal with a mind of its own.

I've been thinking about this. Horses seem different from other animals, I was trying to understand them a bit better.

Horses are poorly designed critters. They are thousand pound prey animals with minds of their own. They have ginormous digestive tracts, but they can't throw up. If they eat something bad, it's BAD and $$$ vet call. The average riding horse has a cannon bone (lower leg) circumference of about 9 inches. They stand on what used to be their middle finger, now the hoof, which is a complicated and amazing sling of parts.

Horse ownership is not for the faint of heart. Draco has "Sweet Itch". He's allergic to the bites of the midges. He's very high maintenance from mid-April to mid-October. He has goop (Swat) on his belly, wears a sheet, neck cover and fly mask in addition to fly spray. I ride early in the morning because he is so sensitive to the bugs. If I slack off, he gets open wounds, and I'm not ok with that.

That said, they are amazing. They are so smart, and so sensitive. It's a complete and total addiction. After I came off him ten years ago and fractured my L1, the only thing I could think about what getting back on. I was beyond terrified when I did. I have lost much of my confidence, but I still wake up in the morning and look forward to seeing and getting on my horse.

This is me and Katie the WonderPony. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Attachments

• Karen04-1ujey5k.jpg
    Karen04-1ujey5k.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 106
No black flies.

It's this huge equestrian center that I think owned by the county, the same entity that owns the miles of gravel trails and limited amount of single track near my house.

There's technically a bike path in the center but it doesn't go all the way through. And yea, you do come to a point where a sign says "no bikes beyond this point."

It's a crucial connection for me, it connects our woods with the rest of the system. The first few times I got off and walked it. Eventually I started riding, slowly along the edge of the woods.

The horses are in huge corrals (do they call them that?) I've rarely been closer than 50 yards from a horse, except occasionally they'd get curious and walk over to me. Sometimes the horse are giving lessons. Usually they are just chilling but lately they are running a lot. They don't seem unhappy to me, maybe they are flirting.

Today I actually came across a lesson on the bike path. There are signs all around that show that bikes and walkers yielding to horses. I dismounted, they said thank you, and walked by.
On this side of the continent, they are paddocks. If the horses are just hanging in the paddocks, I wouldn't worry about them. And, since you were an admirable human, dismounted, made sure that the horses could see you, I wouldn't worry about that, either. Just remember that you are dealing with a prey animal. Say good morning and make noise before they see you. And bring treats. :) You will be their bestest friend ever.

Back