The Geeky Trail Building Thread

So we have about two miles of single track on our property. It's relatively new especially when you consider how much it has been ridden (and walked and skied).

Our land is ledge-y. At around 1900 feet in the Adks, that isn't really uncommon. I guess that puts the tree roots near the surface.

It seems that as the soil gets more compressed more roots are exposed. When I look at @raisingarizona 's pics and ScottyJack's pics in the old thread, it looks like a lot of work has gone into making them more dirt and less root, or maybe that is because you just have more soil than I do.

I have been cutting some of the roots out with loppers. I guess that could kill some trees, but it is what it is. Any advice on how I should be approaching this? With the amount of time I spend there now, and just being one person, it would take me a long time to get through two miles with a pick.

well I guess this comes down to what is it that you want your trail to look and ride like? Really good trail takes a good beating on your body to make happen. That’s sort of the bottom line.

Brianhead
19218234-4067-4B21-A6CD-93D376D41A7B.jpeg

well I guess this comes down to what is it that you want your trail to look and ride like? Really good trail takes a good beating on your body to make happen. That’s sort of the bottom line.

I do want it smoother I guess. I have limited time when I'm up there so I'll either have to get Steve Ovitt back, or work on it a little at a time, or live with it for another three years.

Is the right tool a pick? In many spots the soil is thin.

I do want it smoother I guess. I have limited time when I'm up there so I'll either have to get Steve Ovitt back, or work on it a little at a time, or live with it for another three years.

Is the right tool a pick? In many spots the soil is thin.

If you really want to get to it and the terrain isn’t too extreme rent a mini x for a week or two. It gets it done and it’s super fun!

for hand building a pick mattock and McLeod are the two primary tools. If you have a thick mat of roots and organic then a polaski is probably in order as well.

Nice vid. Trail looks inspiring.

How long does it take one hoser rookie to do 2 miles? ?

I don't have forever, but with some luck maybe 30 years. ?

We finished the heart trail project this past August. Here’s a randoms top to bottom vid of the trail.

Great looking trail.. Is there a fire road to the top?

Back