Tell Me What You Know about Siding

Harvey

Administrator
Siding.

Maybe this should go in the garage thread because that's what's inspiring this right now. But I want the garage and the house to match so I'm putting it here.

What do you guys think about siding? I was thinking about Hardy board and my builder, doesn't seem to like it. Something about finishing the cut ends.

I asked him what his favorite was and he said you're not gonna like it and then after a pause he said vinyl. I'm like, you're right I don't like vinyl.

Then he said next best is wood. He doesn't even consider any of the half cement half wood or any that stuff.

I'm gonna be an old man so I'd rather not have a lot of maintenance which is why I was thinking of hardy board but my builder feels like if you stain the wood you don't have to scrape it, just power washing and staining every so often it's not actually that bad.

Love to hear your input it. Post pics if you got em!

Our current house has vinyl and in every place you have ever leaned a ladder, there is a dent?

Can you post a link for nice stuff vinyl?

Vinyl Siding | Shop Styles, Types & Colors - CertainTeed

Vinyl is final. Make sure to go with a heavier mil(thickness). Installation is everything though. The best vinyl siding installed by someone who doesn’t know their stuff will look like crap. If they know what they’re doing and use the fight accessories it’ll look like a million bucks.

Link to what you recommend? It doesn't get dented by ladders? How cold before it cracks?

Also like to hear from @sig

I sided my house with rough cut hemlock board and batten. I figured it's lasted on barns around here for 100's of years, so should be good for my house. Plus, I really like the rustic look. I'd do it again.

I think my wife wants a lighter color. To me wood only makes sense if you are going to stain it. Once you paint it, it seems like a lifetime of work.

Would love to see pics or any/all installations.

Back