Tales from the Hinterlands - 2023/24

In other news, the snow chair theme is catching on. This just in from my friend Matt T, who lives in Inverie, a very isolated village on the Knoydart peninsula in the highlands of Scotland. He is not far above sea level, so any amount of snow is unusual. There are some significant hills there, maybe he will drag his skis out of retirement.

Matt T chair.jpg

This winter blows. We've postponed Twigfest (originally Feb. 3) until whenever there is more snow.

The chair is very droopy, you don't want to see it.

No chair photo, it is too slumpy. For the first time this ski season, I attached snow-sliding devices to my feet and slid on snow out in the backyard. Conditions were crusty but it was nice to be outside on a rare sunny day.
The Altai Hoks were the perfect choice for the conditions. Nothing tougher than a rental ski!
hoks 2 3.jpg

Yes, I'm smiling.
selfie 2 3.jpg

Secret Hill, for those in the know. A descent was not in the cards today.
secret 2 3.jpg

Def not a powder day.
crust 2 3.jpg

Moira was in a mellow mood after her unauthorized woodland run this morning (30 minutes of unsupervised freedom in the forest at high speed. But she came back, 6 for 6 on that score).
dawg 2 3.jpg

This gives you an idea of the snowpack in the Hinterlands.

snowpack 2 3.jpg

Not making much of a dent, even at 4 pm after a day of sunshine.

tracks 2 3.jpg

It has been a thin winter this year. Blasts of snow for those can take advantage, lasting a few days. Otherwise less than ideal conditions. As we wind down, a celebration.

World Telemark Day was celebrated WWHSTA-style at Limberlost Forest today, with telemark (75 mm, three-pin, NNN-BC, NTN all present), AT, splitboard and skishoe schussers all in attendance. Not to mention a few good dogs with four-paw drive. Thanks again to Limberlost Forest and Wildlife Reserve for their support.

wwhat gand wtd 24.jpg
three pin win.jpg
dawgs wtd 24.jpg

Cool pics. Glad you found a way to celebrate.... winter is over early in the Tri-Lakes.

The snow is fading fast. Heading back to Limberlost tomorrow for a staff appreciation day of outdoor activities, I think the food will be the highlight. Forecast high is 15 degrees C (that's 59 F!)! The snow will be mushy.

Back