Summer Weather 2021

Lytton, BC now owns the hottest temperature in Canada: 49.5C or 121.1F
Yikes!
Have the climate change deniers chimed in yet? 121 in freaking Canada should set off some alarm bells, or join the many that have already been sounding for years.

Have the climate change deniers chimed in yet? 121 in freaking Canada should set off some alarm bells, or join the many that have already been sounding for years.
News says that 90% of the town has burned down. This in the last day or so. Forest fire came in; people had about 15 minutes to leave.

Climate change is real, but I think we're screwed. Everybody would have to sacrifice a huge part of their life.....I don't see it happening.

News says that 90% of the town has burned down. This in the last day or so. Forest fire came in; people had about 15 minutes to leave.

Climate change is real, but I think we're screwed. Everybody would have to sacrifice a huge part of their life.....I don't see it happening.
Maybe the 100 companies that are responsible for 71% of global emissions (or the 20 fossil fuel companies responsible for 33% of emissions) should do something.

Like, this seems ridiculous:

According to my rain gauge, we have had ten inches of rain since June 21. A tornado touched down about a mile from my house last week. I am now paranoid about keeping my phone charged if it's going to rain.

Our climate changes always every year since we started wobbling back and forth while spinning on the axis on our annual voyage around the sun.
When the last ice age was here ~10K years ago there wasn’t much life around at all while being under 1/2 mile of ice.

According to my rain gauge, we have had ten inches of rain since June 21. A tornado touched down about a mile from my house last week. I am now paranoid about keeping my phone charged if it's going to rain.
I recommend getting a uninterruptable power supply (UPS). I got one for the modem and wifi router. $200 and it should power those two devices for 6 hours. When winter comes I'll move it to power the gas stove so the fan can distribute the hot air better in the event of an outage. Obviously we don't have a generator. That's in the $8k price range.

I recommend getting a uninterruptable power supply (UPS). I got one for the modem and wifi router. $200 and it should power those two devices for 6 hours. When winter comes I'll move it to power the gas stove so the fan can distribute the hot air better in the event of an outage. Obviously we don't have a generator. That's in the $8k price range.
Thanks for the recommendation. My power usually comes on pretty quickly, with the one exception of when we received two feet of snow one year. On day 2, I was plowed out, and could get out, so I went skiing. By the time my I came home, my power was on. I can drive about ten minutes to pick up some Cornell wifi if I have to.

All that said, how do they work? If my power goes out, and my DSL is out, how do they work in my weird land of no cell phone signal? Is that possible? Or, is it just sort of a mini-generator kind of thing?

Thanks!

WP with more storms on the way!

PS. My dad has a birthday coming up. This might be a really good gift! Thanks again!

Last edited:
All that said, how do they work? If my power goes out, and my DSL is out, how do they work in my weird land of no cell phone signal? Is that possible? Or, is it just sort of a mini-generator kind of thing?
It's a basically a battery that plugs into the wall. You plug devices into the battery. Mine has surge protection for coaxial (T.V. type cable) also.

When the power goes out, whatever is plugged in keeps working. Your internet signal should keep working, just as your phone works when the power is out. You can plug your phone charger into the UPS when the power is out.

Some UPSs have software that, when the power goes out, will perform an orderly shutdown of your computer. This isn't needed as much with a laptop with a reasonable charge left, but will allow your laptop to last longer if it's plugged in to the UPS.

Vendors' web sites have calculators, etc. so you can predict how long the UPS battery will last (based on the power draw of what you want to plug in). You could also roughly figure out how long something will last based on the power draw as found in a device's manual.

UPSs can go from <$100 to probably tens of thousands if you run a data center (rows and rows of servers, routers, etc.).

Back