St. Moritz/Corviglia, CH: 12/15/23

A perfect day!

SCORE James, as usual. Your good fortune with conditions is legend.

I don't know if it exactly qualifies as an audible, he was just toying with us for about a month, pretending he was going to Utah.
🤠

Camp's question is a great one, IMO it deserves it's own thread.

JD, how many times have you skied across the big pond?
I'm such a dork that I've kept track of Alps gateway airports (below) since my first ski visit across the pond in 2003 -- it appears to be 22 trips. Thank goodness for frequent-flyer miles.
  • Zurich: 11
  • Geneva: 5
  • Milan: 2
  • Innsbruck: 1
  • Salzburg: 1
  • Nice: 1
  • Munich: 1
Is there one trip that sticks out to you more than any other?
No question, that would have to be my March 2016 visit to the canton of Schwyz (pronounced SHVEETZ) only 22 miles south of Zurich. Weather know-it-alls on another forum tried to browbeat me from going to this gorgeous, low-elevation lake district that late in the season, insisting that incoming storms were going to be a multi-day gully washer. No matter, I was on a mission to experience this string of under-the-radar anti resorts. I ignored the warnings and was rewarded with mid-winter conditions.
  • Arrival day, storm skiing at small but charming Hochstuckli
  • Mindblowing lake vistas at Klewenalp, Stoos, and Rigi -- imagine the Finger Lakes surrounded by dramatic snow-covered mountains with lifts: my version of heaven!
  • Sprawling, old-school Mythen serviced predominantly by t-bars: a storm day followed by a bluebird day
  • A ski safari to Hoch-Ybrig
It's hard to believe that this stunning region only an hour from Zurich airport is still more or less unknown to people from outside Switzerland. I guess it gets lost in the shuffle because the country has such an overabundance of showpieces for ski tourists.

Nuthin dorky about keeping track. I spend hours reading your old TRs even if they’re 20 yrs old. Mountains don’t go out of style!

Back