Song Conditions

Had good conversations with the other folks enjoying a beautiful winter afternoon on the patio.
When I went outside there was some accordion music being played over someone's phone & figured it was from the dude who I met at Lab one day. He and his wife were from Prague and ❤️ Ester Ladecka, the one who medaled in both 🏂⛷️. We talked about the mountains/cultures of Europe...They’re good folks.
After they left a big dude and his little son came by to the same table. He grew up in Boonville, ski instructed at Snow Ridge in high school, then went out to Big Sky & Grand Targhee. It was his little rascals 1st ever chairlift ride and the child was beaming.
It was a pleasure BSing with those folks.

Pitter patter lets get atter.
1707404536984.png

Skied Song in the afternoon. Temp ~50F. Soft snow. No wind.
Partly cloudy but there was blue sky and sunshine sometimes.
Turny laps on Sentimental & Chopsticks mainly.
The whales on the Dipsy Doodles were pushed out yesterday and it opened today for the 1st time.
All folks said it was good and it was.
Another fun day.

Song skied well today. Lots of turns again. Almost a liftline till before noon.
Upper 20s, light south wind till ya got to the top.
Sun went away in the afternoon.
Cat was pushing out new whales on Bali & was fun watching the snowballs make their way down the slope. Twas about all smoothed out when we left before 2.
Lab’s Cutthroat looks like it’s getting some new whales on the webcam.

Skied Song with one of the boys.
Bluebird, mid 20s, no wind.
ROTD was Bali.
Laps on it, chopsticks, sentimental & 1 round down the blue square stormy weather-tuxedo junction.
That run had new whales throughout & was by far the most sketchy.
IMG_0496.jpeg

Lots of folks out as posses skiing with their kiddos.
IMG_0499.jpeg

Even had a 2-3 chair lift line at times later on.
Snapped this one behind the triple lift shack.
IMG_0501.jpeg

Stopped at The Doug’s, twas tasty.
Great day to ski & Skiing is fun.

Lotta new snow made last night.
1708474632749.png

Last edited:
OMG. Seeing pictures of open water on Tully and Otisco Lakes (without ice in February) is frightening to me. I skied Song for years and I can't recall ever seeing those two lakes without ice in February. Something is seriously, seriously wrong here folks.

OMG. Seeing pictures of open water on Tully and Otisco Lakes (without ice in February) is frightening to me. I skied Song for years and I can't recall ever seeing those two lakes without ice in February. Something is seriously, seriously wrong here folks.
Cuse used to win the snow globe for NY.
Very little lake effect this season cause the cold NW wind hasn’t blown much.
Utube from 6 days ago...and it hasn’t snowed since but was cold enough to blow some❄️.

Cuse used to win the snow globe for NY.
Very little lake effect this season cause the cold NW wind hasn’t blown much.
Utube from 6 days ago...and it hasn’t snowed since but was cold enough to blow some❄️.
Its not just the lack of snow the last three years, it's the warmth. I have been around CNY for 55 years, and the last 10 years have been too warm and too wet. This year? I can't remember any winter with so much rain and so little cold weather as this one. I have a professional quality weather station and it hasn't recorded a single night below 10 degrees this winter. The lack of winter here is just frigging weird, not normal, and scary as fuck, at least to me. My neighbor has a large maple sugarbush operation. His trees are running sap in January, earlier than ever, and he's worried.

Its not just the lack of snow the last three years, it's the warmth. I have been around CNY for 55 years, and the last 10 years have been too warm and too wet. This year? I can't remember any winter with so much rain and so little cold weather as this one. I have a professional quality weather station and it hasn't recorded a single night below 10 degrees this winter. The lack of winter here is just frigging weird, not normal, and scary as fuck, at least to me. My neighbor has a large maple sugarbush operation. His trees are running sap in January, earlier than ever, and he's worried.
Yup.
When I drive by the lakes and seen them open with no waves on the drive to go skiing I sometimes think about how much fun we had fishing in the wintertime in a little 14 foot boat dragging streamers & other stuff putting peacefully along. Actually stopped skiing for several years cause the fishing was so much fun on nice windless winter days.
We’d go to Watkins Glenn (Seneca), launches around Ithaca (Cayuga) Taughannock even had a bubbler to keep the ice down, Skinny and the Big O (close to shore in late winter-early spring outta Fair Haven or Oz.). Have yet to fish Otisco in the wintertime cause she’s usually locked up and folks are ice fishing on it. The only bummer was sitting in a little boat with a life jacket on for hours. Twas beautiful, fun, got to tell fish stories & get samples of the biosystem.

My brain inside my tin foil hat sometimes makes me think a lot of juice is being put in the air & warming stuff from all the wireless BS bouncing around the earth.

Dang Bitcoin mine is still heating Seneca.
Cornell sucks cold water outta Cayuga to cool their places.

Last edited:
Worked up the courage to go after the pup had a good checkup with jabs at the vet. Knee was acting up after doing chores the day before but figured it’d be some type of snow therapy. Got there a bit too late for the better corn as it was getting more mashed.
IMG_0522.jpeg
Bali got thick in places & more so as the day went on. Couple of laps on Bali but a lot more were Sentimental.
Obligatory Otisco Lake shot.
IMG_0525.jpeg
For me the shady part of Sentimental had the best snow along with whales still up at the bottom of Bali. But there were folks & kids ripping it all up.
Sweet tater fries paired well with an Allagash afterwards.
IMG_0526.jpeg

A good time was had by all.

Back