Ski Length

In my late 70s at 6'1" 200 lbs I moved From Atomic SX 10 ,'s 170 which were awesome hardpack speed demons I went to Atomic Blackeye TI's at 181s which were rockered and helluva lot friendlier in crud/eastern pow 🙄 and softer stuff

Thanks for all the input. My goal is to be skiing into my 70s and beyond. I haven't tried tele skiing but if I can still get runs in for the next 20+ years I will call it a success. I'm happy skiing the 181s and don't mind the burn, I like being physical with my skiing and the challenge of bumps. I don't have a strong need for speed; if I'm hitting 40mph I tell myself to slow down. I just want to keep skiing as long as I can so want to be on a ski that won't be too hard on my knees but that's probably more about proper technique than having skis that are too long.

i'm 160 lbs. 5'8. 61yrs went from 178 to 172's ...only skied them once...need to more time on them to give a proper opinion

If you are looking for big sweeping turns, go long. I am 5'7" and 58 years old. Was never much of a GS skier. Currently ripping 157 volkl fat boards. i mostly ski glades or moguls, on soft snow. These little guys are very responsive. Skied 195 in my 20's. 183 from 30's to 40's . been on short, fat boards since. enjoy your new skis

Here are my mid 1980s race skis
223 Head Super DH
210 Dynamic VR27 - race stock
203 Dynastar SL Course
The Dynamics were my powder skis :ROFLMAO:
raceskis.jpg

My current daily driver is a 182 Stockli AR. The ARs handle lake ice to big bumps to a foot of powder. They are the best skis i have ever owned. They have become a 1 ski quiver.
Also on the rack:
188 Nordica beer league GS
165 Nordica Doberman SL
188 Blossom Pure 99 - have not skied these yet
6'2" 215lbs, just arrived in my 60s

I hate turning. I buy the longest skis I can. When I taught skiing I was on yellow sleds, 213. Currently, my shortest ski is a 182, stiff AF ski. My pow skis are 210, full rocker noodles, and take zero effort to turn. Such a fun ski.

57, 6'4', 280

Here are my mid 1980s race skis
223 Head Super DH
210 Dynamic VR27 - race stock
203 Dynastar SL Course
The Dynamics were my powder skis :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 22363
My current daily driver is a 182 Stockli AR. The ARs handle lake ice to big bumps to a foot of powder. They are the best skis i have ever owned. They have become a 1 ski quiver.
Also on the rack:
188 Nordica beer league GS
165 Nordica Doberman SL
188 Blossom Pure 99 - have not skied these yet
6'2" 215lbs, just arrived in my 60s
Those Heads look awesome. Any spring left in them?

Back