Silverton in Covid, Feb 2021

I also grabbed the old trashy skis on the dunes at White Sands and again at Great Sand Dunes National Park, where it snowed again. That place is amazing. We also went to Big Bend National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, Gunnison Canyon NP, Meteor Crater, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater. My wife kept a short blog while we were out, so the adult kids could see how we are spending their inheritance. ;)

Our guide was a snowboarder too which I was surprised by at first.
I also grabbed the old trashy skis on the dunes at White Sands and again at Great Sand Dunes National Park, where it snowed again. That place is amazing. We also went to Big Bend National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, Gunnison Canyon NP, Meteor Crater, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater. My wife kept a short blog while we were out, so the adult kids could see how we are spending their inheritance. ;)
More pics please! We don’t have a dune skiing thread… yet.

Our guide was a snowboarder too which I was surprised by at first.

More pics please! We don’t have a dune skiing thread… yet.
The dunes were disappointing at White Sands. To say the least. Pretty, but slow skiing. Do NOT go out of your way to do it. I don't know what my wife did of the video. No video of Great Sand Dunes. That place is far more impressive than White Sands as the dunes are far higher. In my opinion visiting these two places in March and April is the best time of year to do so. We hiked and hiked and then jumped in the river at Great Sand Dunes. It is quite a place. Driving the truck on the sand road at White Sands was just plain weird. It was in the 70s in late February. I can't imagine how either place is like in summer! I seem to have maxed out my picture uploading capacity for this thread anyway.

Great post. Thank you for sharing!

seem to have maxed out my picture uploading capacity for this thread anyway.
I think the max is 30 per post. I don’t think there is a max for the thread. So if you need more to tell a particular story, just immediately post as many replies as you will need with “placeholder” or some shit in the text, then come back and finish with the edit button.

I didn’t ski there but this sand dune mountain I think is around 800 feet tall. It’s right off of Highway 50 in the middle of nowhere, Nevada.

I hope throwing it in here is ok. I’m not sure if I’m breaking holy Internet forum rules or anything. If it’s not cool I’ll erase it.

F5B37A14-BF64-40D3-BC75-75094B2FF93E.jpeg

Do it during an El Niño year. Ski Taos, Silverton, Telluride, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Santa Fe Crested Butte, Monarch and visit me here in Flagstaff. Lots of parks and other sites to see and the food is pretty good too.
Thanks for the tip. i can dump my wife with friends in Tempe and shoot up to Flagstaff.

I didn’t ski there but this sand dune mountain I think is around 800 feet tall. It’s right off of Highway 50 in the middle of nowhere, Nevada.

I hope throwing it in here is ok. I’m not sure if I’m breaking holy Internet forum rules or anything. If it’s not cool I’ll erase it.
US Rt 50 goes nowhere near Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, which is near Alamosa, Colorado. Not sure where the highway picture was taken. It sort of looks like Great Sand Dunes NP, but I don't recall the road into the park being so dramatic. This is the map and pictures from the National Park Service on Great Sand Dunes.

Maps https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/greatsanddunesnpp/

We plan on checking out Great Basin National Park, in Nevada, next spring.

US Rt 50 goes nowhere near Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, which is near Alamosa, Colorado. Not sure where the highway picture was taken. It sort of looks like Great Sand Dunes NP, but I don't recall the road into the park being so dramatic. This is the map and pictures from the National Park Service on Great Sand Dunes.

Maps https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/greatsanddunesnpp/

We plan on checking out Great Basin National Park, in Nevada, next spring.
GBNP is awesome! That region may be my most favorite in the country right now.

The sand dune in my photo was west of Austin on the way towards Carson City. I think it was a state park.

TR from this past summer on hwy 50.

Back