Silverton in Covid, Feb 2021

DHA

Earlier this year in February, my wife and I loaded up our newish 18 foot travel trailer and brand new pickup and took off to the south and west. I had planned a trip which satisfied her desire for some sun and warmth and my desire for adventure. I tossed in the ski equipment sort of as a last thought, knowing we'd end up in Colorado in late March. I'd planned out the route so that we'd end up near Silverton, as well as other Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona ski areas, only to find that the drought and warm weather had taken a toll, and had closed in early March. In fact the only place we found open, completely open at that, was Silverton.

I opted for a day of guided skiing but had enough stamina to ski only three long runs, which took me 3+ hours. Glorious. Exhausting. Worth every penny of the $150.00 it cost for the guide, avalanche equipment, lift ticket, shuttle bus rides back to the lift. I did not do the helicopter, but will next time. I paid the lower rate for group with guide, but had the guide to myself. This place is raw, primitive, awesome. It has one double chairlift, which whisks you from 9,800 feet to over 12,500 feet. It's the fastest fixed grip chairlift I've ever been on and its the first and only chairlift where I really missed not having a safety bar. I's fast, high and goes over the steepest terrain and highest cliffs I've ever seen under a chair.

Once at the top of the lift you can (if you want) ski on half a dozen "trails" down towards the bottom of the ski lift. But the best skiing and snow is in the bowl on the back side of the mountain from the lift, and across the other side of the bowl where the helicopter goes. Guided skiers remove skis and walk up another 500 feet of vertical to the right to drop into the bowl. Heli skiers walk up 500 feet to the left. At 12,500 feet this is not easy, but it's slow walk and there's the most spectacular view. Despite it being April, the snow is dry. We were following the sun -- the softest and nicest "spring" snow was in the sun. Temps at the bottom were about 35, at the top it was 15 on our first run. The first run started off with a steep chute between two cliffs, then a traverse over to another chute, which took us down to the tree line, into the trees, and then more chutes, more trees, and a long double diamond run of steeps before it flattens out to just a black diamond and then an easy relaxing bomber run of about half a mile to the bus pickup spot. The top drop in / headwall is about 1/4 of the run and can only be described as a triple black diamond. I've never skied anything more steep, and I wiped out 30 seconds into my first run. Embarrassing. But I got up and skied the rest of the morning without any trouble. The second and third runs were on different trails, as my guide suggested we follow the sun to catch the best snow.

The little tent style lodge was closed to customers. When times are normal on-sight services are minimal, snacks, tickets, equipment rental. There was no food for sale, no inside eating at all. Everything was outside. I brought my own lunch. There were campfires in the parking lot, the bathrooms were porta johns. The attitude was one of ultimate mello-ness. It was like stepping back into the 1960s, only with modern equipment and fashions.

This was nearly the best day on skis in my 59 years. The best two days were on Stubai Glacier in Austria, 25 years ago, A whole other story.

Nothing like a trip cross country and definitely nothing like Silverton. Badass!

i was thinking about a similar trip. thought it would be to cold for a trailer. i like your thinking of driving south first. i was thinking the other direction. did you encounter any issues towing the trailer in winter? how did the heating system hold up that time of year.

i was thinking about a similar trip. thought it would be to cold for a trailer. i like your thinking of driving south first. i was thinking the other direction. did you encounter any issues towing the trailer in winter? how did the heating system hold up that time of year.
Do it during an El Niño year. Ski Taos, Silverton, Telluride, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Santa Fe Crested Butte, Monarch and visit me here in Flagstaff. Lots of parks and other sites to see and the food is pretty good too.

Reactions: sig
With all due respect, sir, I think we are entitled to a few photographs from this trip. I'm not implying that you need to prove that it did indeed happen. I trust you. But pics would be appreciated.
Your wish is fulfilled. I haven't done much attaching of files.
20210411_124436.jpg
20210411_124434.jpg
20210411_095752.jpg
20210411_095755.jpg
20210411_095757.jpg
20210411_114428.jpg
20210411_114430.jpg
20210411_114436.jpg
20210411_114438.jpg
20210411_124434.jpg
20210411_124436.jpg
20210411_100543.jpg

Attachments

• 20210411_100541.jpg
    20210411_100541.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210411_100638.jpg
    20210411_100638.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210411_100641.jpg
    20210411_100641.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 47
Was your guide a snowboarder?

Towing in winter, even a properly prepared 4 season trailer can be an adventure. When we left the Finger Lakes, the temps were in the upper 40s and sunny, but as we went south and west it got colder with every stop. First couple of days in Natural Bridge, VA saw temps down to 20 and light snow. Then in Cumberland Gap, TN, there was 6 inches of slushy wet snow. A few days later at Mammoth Cave, KY was the deep freeze: temps down to -5 F and a solid 6 inches of crusted over snow at the campsite. Our plans to go down the Natchez Trace Parkway were destroyed by ice and snow on the Trace, downed trees and ice, and more freezing temps. So we cut across Arkansas on the interstate and saw more snow in Little Rock. We tried to not tow when it was actually snowing, and were for the most part successful until Colorado. Most crazy: By the time we got to San Padre Island, temps were above freezing, but Texans were still panicked. Except for one night when I forgot to open the valve to the reserve propane tank, everything went well. That night we woke up to 20F in the trailer. Things were nice and warm in an hour after I opened the gas valve. And we saw lots of lake effect snow again on the way home in Ohio and NY.

The trailer is a Grand Design 18 footer that was sold as four season prepped. It came with good insulation in the walls, floor and ceiling, underbelly heating provided by ducts from the furnace, and twin oversized 30 gallon propane tanks. I added 12 volt heaters for the fresh, gray and black water tanks, (these can run when being towed) and a 120 volt 1,500 watt electric heater to the a/c unit. When temperatures are below freezing, and the plumbing in the trailer is not prepped for winter storage (cause you are using it!), you need to keep the 12 volt tank heaters on and run the furnace on low, when running down the road. You top off the propane at every campsite. And when we are hooked up to electric, we use the electric heater as well as the furnace, to save on propane.

We are planning on a similar trip starting in March this year.

Back