Silverball Arcade: Asbury Park NJ, 08/09/24

Nice! I've been by that arcade a few times. Next time I'm down the shore, I should actually go in. Modern pinball machines with scores in the tens of millions leave me cold.

Anyway, here's a clip where a guy opens up a variant (called "Playball") and looks under the hood. I have zero mechanical aptitude and it looks like rocket science to me.
My mechanic friend would open up the pinball machine they had every now and then to give it a tuneup-cleaning, He had a Trusty Duster Mopar dragster as well. We used to run the hills in Oxford with his wife, then go out for pizza & beer when it cooled off in the evenings. They were from outside Cleveland Ohio & nice folks.

Then Pacman & Centipede came out with chips inside.
The rest is history...

I saw Led Zep at the convention hall with Mott the Hoople opening on Zep's first tour. It was awesome.
Does the Fast Lane still exist? Saw the Ramones there twice. Nothing like the fury of the Ramones in a small club.

Asbury was a place to avoid from the late 70s to around 2000, then, all of a sudden, just like South Beach, gay people decided to invest in it. Totally changed the place. Now it's safe and the food is great.

Who play Pinball Wizard
I didn't add the pic below to my initial post but here's the machine that Roger Daltrey played in Tommy, confirmed by Wikipedia. Not sure why Silverball neglected to mention this bit of trivia in the bio.

The Pinball Wizard sequence was shot at the Kings Theatre in Southsea and the two pinball machines used were a 1965 Kings & Queens by Gottlieb -- used by Roger Daltrey -- and a Gottlieb Buckaroo also from 1965, used by Elton John.

20240809_103757.jpg

Back