Silverball Arcade: Asbury Park NJ, 08/09/24

jamesdeluxe

With heavy rain the previous three days and more in the short-term forecast, I chose a pretty lousy week to take my first vacation from work in six months. Instead of the multiple golf and mountain bike outings that I had planned, I spent a lot of it at home catching up on household chores; however, yesterday was penciled in on my calendar for a mission to a place I'd been threatening to visit for years but somehow never got around to. The fact that the pilgrimage site is located only 45 minutes south of me made it even less forgivable, so amidst on-and-off rain I headed down the Garden State Parkway.

Past the Jon Bon Jovi service area:
20240809_085133.jpg

And the express-lane split:
20240809_085009.jpg

... to Asbury Park, the well-known seaside town that had gone from a popular destination for beachgoers to a symbol of urban decay and neglect to once again a popular shore destination. It's also known as the stomping grounds for Bruce Springsteen, Southside Johnny, and the aforementioned Bon Jovi:
20240809_124216.jpg

Instead of gloom and rain, the weather cleared up nicely for a mid-morning walk down the boardwalk:
20240809_095428.jpg

20240809_095536.jpg

Tillie, the iconic face of Asbury Park:
20240809_095345.jpg

At the far end of the boardwalk is the Asbury Park Convention Hall, which I knew as the site where many 1970s bootleg live albums were recorded, including my personal favorite Black Sabbath on their 1975 Sabotage tour.
20240809_094241.jpg

20240809_094356.jpg

A few months ago, a $20 million grant was awarded to the city to renovate and reopen the complex, which includes the Paramount Theater:
20240809_095021.jpg

With sightseeing finished, I moved on to the reason for my visit, the Silverball Arcade and Museum, which houses more than 150 vintage pinball and video games. Growing up in the 70s, I spent countless hours playing pinball and really miss when you could find them in all sorts of locations: malls, hockey rinks, bars, department stores.
20240809_093901.jpg

For only $20, it's "all you can eat" and you can play any game for as long as you like. Truly a "kid in a candy store" effect.

I prefer the older "electromechanical" versions with the analog score counters. When they started making them with computerized scoring and effects, I checked out.
20240809_105605.jpg

As a quasi museum, above each machine is a "bio" that explains interesting details about its manufacture and how to play the game:
20240809_110910.jpg

20240809_105502.jpg

Back to the mid-70s!
20240809_113025.jpg

20240809_115728.jpg

20240809_113321.jpg

Check out the scoring -- this was back before "point inflation," where numbers were counted in the tens and hundreds rather than millions:
20240809_115502.jpg

I took pix of every machine I played (about 40 of them) and ended up staying for almost three hours, an almost religious experience! To point out the obvious -- if you're a pinball geek, it's very much worth the trip.

Last edited:
Very cool, what a fine way to spend a day. Did the arcade have any of the early digital games, like Asteroids, Galaxian (personall fave) or Frogger?

Did the arcade have any of the early digital games, like Asteroids, Galaxian (personall fave) or Frogger?
It had all of them -- things I hadn't seen in 40 years, including Stargate and Defender. The latter was the only digital game I played there. The arcade also had the Defender pinball game; however, as noted in the bio below, pinball was fading in relevance by the early/mid-80s.

20240809_115035.jpg

Last edited:
Growing up in the 70s, I spent countless hours playing pinball and really miss when you could find them in all sorts of locations: malls, hockey rinks, bars, department stores.
...I prefer the older "electromechanical" versions with the analog score counters. When they started making them with computerized scoring and effects, I checked out.
As a grad student in the 70s at Ole Miss some friends had an “electromechanical” pinball machine (& a pool table) in their home. The husband was a Chrysler mechanic at the dealership in Batesville Ms. who won a gold plated WP Chrysler award toolbox for being a top mechanic. I helped him fix student's cars on the side. He kept the machines running and the bells working. There’s lots going on inside an electromechanical pinball machine.

Hours of fun.

Cool! Glad the old building will be renovated instead of torn down.

If you ever have a reason to be in Asheville, NC, there is a pinball Museum there. During the summer they limit the number of people in the place to 70 so that with 80 pinball machines there is always one open to go try.

What a cool report

There’s lots going on inside an electromechanical pinball machine.
No question. This machine, Gottlieb's 1971 Home Run, was my favorite growing up. I could've probably bought a used car with all the quarters I spent playing it at our local CNY hockey rink, Shove Park in Camillus. One of the comments notes that on the back glass is Ron Santo (bottom left), Ernie Banks (bottom right), and Comiskey Park as the stadium -- not surprising given that the manufacturer was based in Chicago.

Anyway, here's a clip where a guy opens up a variant (called "Playball") and looks under the hood. I have zero mechanical aptitude and it looks like rocket science to me.

gottlieb home run.jpg

Last edited:
Back