Serre Chevalier, FR: 01/30/23

That evening at Fondue/Raclette Night -- check out this nutty gadget with retractable heating elements that melt the cheese onto the dish placed underneath. The diner scoops it up with a spatula or (at this restaurant) a cleaver to spread onto meat or bread. Only in France, right?
When I was in Les 3 Valles last year, we had a fondue / raclette night with one of those cheese melting machines ... it was awesome!!!

Skiing looks good and you had a beautiful day!!! Nice!

Very nice James, enjoy! I’m holding out for a cheese cave lol!

Cool. The tree skiing is pretty interesting. I only skied once in the French Alps on a two week trip a few years before Covid. Val d'Siere/Tignes week one, and LePlagne/Les Arcs week two. Val was awesome, but, 95% of the place is above tree line, which makes it pretty impossible to ski in weather of any sort, which we had for three or four days. Can't see. Le Plagne had trees on the bottom, which we didn't need, because it was bluebird for a week, but, I learned a lesson and will go back to a mega resort like that instead of these giant alpine bowls. Abasin is the same. Pretty much unskiable in a storm or fog.

Oh, yeah, raclette. Or, cheese, in general. Cheese, cheese, cheese. We always had a cheese course at dinner, and it was an awesome cheese selection. Half of that was at the breakfast buffet the next morning. One day, we had raclette for lunch on the hill, came back and they said, it's Thursday, raclette for dinner! And, on top of that, we still had a cheese course come to the table! Good lord, I couldn't look at cheese for a few weeks back home, and I like cheese. Bourdain comments on this in his Chamonix episode.

Where did you stay? Did you have half board, and how was it? How much were lift tickets? How did you get from Malpensa airport to skiing?

Where did you stay? Did you have half board, and how was it? How much were lift tickets? How did you get from Malpensa airport to skiing?
I rented a car at Milan Malpensa. On the 2.5-hour drive to Serre Chevalier, you drive right through the Italian ski region Via Lattea ("The Milky Way") -- where Tony Crocker scored a surprise powder day at San Sicario before I arrived. The only annoying thing about using Milan as the gateway airport is that the Italian autostrada nails you for 30 euros in tolls in each direction to and from the French border. Ultimately not a dealbreaker, it's more the principle. OTOH, given how much driving I did to some out-of-the-way small mountains, I was pleasantly surprised to have only spent $70 in gas.

Due to logistics with the other region that I visited during the second half of the week, I stayed in a (as the British would say) "cheap and cheerful" B&B in Briancon, which was fine, but obviously not as pleasant as a proper hotel. I'll ask Tony to post about his stay in a half-board place.

Here are the lift ticket prices.

Cheap, clean, and cheerful is fine with me, as long as they feed me good food.
Thanks.

Back