Rooftop Tents

That makes sense to me. 4x4 accessed beach fishing is actually a great application for something like this.

The difference/disconnect is between dynamic weight limit (i.e. driving on the highway with a big thing on your roof) relating to the 160 lbs weight limit you mention and static weight limit - people on top of the car when it is stationary.

I just never thought of this, but it makes complete sense. I guess they make it that way in case it gets upside down?

I just never thought of this, but it makes complete sense. I guess they make it that way in case it gets upside down?
Harv! I defer to the scientists / engineers in the group (last time I touched physics was an AP class in high school many, many years ago). The dynamic limit relates to the physics of a large, heavy object at the top of the car, and its effect on the moving vehicle - being able to start, stop, accelerate, and handle safely. You also need to make sure that the weakest link (mounting pieces to roof, roof rack) can hold the weight. For example, most standard mfg roof racks are not going to hold 160 lbs on a small crossover.

The gross weight is so much higher, as you note, for things like rollover safety. To be fair, for plopping a bunch of people on your roof (or at least a CRV roof), you do need to rely on the structure (ie on my CRV, my after market cross bars are bolted into fixed points manufactured into the vehicle). I have been on top of my roof, and if I am on the rack, no issue. I wouldn't want to put all my weight on a random spot on the roof.

Back