Rooftop Tents

DomB

These things seem pretty cool.

Anyone use 'em?

Not cheap, but some of these are ready to use in less than 2 minutes. I am seriously thinking about this one:

Would love to hear about anyone's experience with a hardshell.

Best,
D

I have no experience with rooftop tents. They seem pretty pricey to me. I think GoFast Campers makes one that’s a little more reasonable though

I have no experience with rooftop tents. They seem pretty pricey to me. I think GoFast Campers makes one that’s a little more reasonable though
That is really cool. I didn't even hear about this company. But don't think I could fit the whole brood into this one.

sheesh you could probably find a really nice used pop-up tent trailer for that!

Agree that they are way overpriced and that you can find quality used pop up trailers for cheaper.

or just, you know, put a tent on the ground.

3 adults at an average of 160 pounds per is 480 pounds plus the tent itself at 160 pounds is 640 pounds, and that’s not including whatever camping supplies you put in the tent. Call it close to 700 pounds on the roof of your vehicle. That seem like a problem to anyone else? Vehicle recommended weight limit on the roof rails on our vehicles is 160 pounds. That’s quite a difference.....

Why? What is the purpose of these things? Wouldn't a regular tent do the same thing?

I understand the attraction for summer time. You’re off the ground, there’s no towing involved and they’re easy To set up. I have a Coleman pop up and it’s probably a good twenty minutes of work to get it set up, more if it’s hard to determine a level spot to park it on. On the other hand if you’re staying more then 24 hours, having the additional room and being separate from your vehicle outweighs the convenience factor of the roof top tent to me.

Last edited:
3 adults at an average of 160 pounds per is 480 pounds plus the tent itself at 160 pounds is 640 pounds, and that’s not including whatever camping supplies you put in the tent. Call it close to 700 pounds on the roof of your vehicle. That seem like a problem to anyone else? Vehicle recommended weight limit on the roof rails on our vehicles is 160 pounds. That’s quite a difference.....
Hey! The difference/disconnect is between dynamic weight limit (i.e. driving on the highway with a big thing on your roof) relating to the 160 lbs weight limit you mention and static weight limit - people on top of the car when it is stationary. My owners manual references a driving weight limit for roof load (165 - the dynamic weight limit) and then refers to a gross weight limit (can't recall but it is like 850-900 lbs).

Appreciate all the input. One reason I am thinking about an RTT is local use. I live on an Island and have a night fishing pass for ocean and bay access. You can sleep in a rooftent (or attached camper) on 4x4 beach, but you cannot ground tent. I asked why and was told it was a safety issue. Some of the beaches provide year-round access, some not from Dec 31 - Mar 31.

My CRV has a small lift, and when you air down and drive prudently, I have had no issues driving on the beach. That said, I have seen many Jeeps, F150s, and Range Rovers stuck. I have seen some in the act of getting stuck, and my observation is that it did not involve prudent driving.

And the convenience factor Brownski refers to is big - I have two little kids, so I like that I could be 'pitching' the tent in 1-2 min and take down in 2-3 min. I hope this will be a gateway into camping for me: I believe I will be using it at least for overnights on the beach (hopefully at least some of the kids and my wife will overnight with me), and in best case scenario this leads to broader camping. I am focused on this one because at least for a while, we could fit the whole gang up there for an overnight.

For frequency of use, I have been fishing with the permit probably 10-s15x since April, all day trips. This would provide the option of staying overnight without having to get a camper or trailer set up (I have a small yard and driveway).

Also, maybe not the best for this fold out setup, but apparently some folks use these for overnight sleeping for skiing. That could appeal to me during COVID (admittedly, the RTTs that are literally 30 seconds would be better than this; folks apparently do use this for overnight ski sleeping though). No representation that I will actually do that, but nice option. And no, I wouldn't be doing in in the -7 overnights, but keep in mind 80% of my skiing is in the Cats.

Nice to get the comments. I may pull the trigger on this . . . .

Why? What is the purpose of these things? Wouldn't a regular tent do the same thing?
The main reasons are (1) use for local beach access; (2) camping use convenience for the four of us and durability; (3) Space saving that works for me (trailer etc would be impractical for me). Yes, there is a big premium in there on the price point.

Back