Recommendations for 2nd Ski (Start of a quiver)

Rustler 9’s are 180 or 188. Assuming I want the longer of those 2?
When I skied the Rustler 10s, I only skied the 180s but felt like they were the perfect length. Couldn't ski the 188 to compare, but I would order the 180s for myself. At the time I demoed, I was 260lbs (down to 205lbs, now!) and I am a 6'1" aggressive natural snow skier. The 180s flexed and responded perfectly for me and short, nimble, playful turns. Do the 9s have a Ti sheet? The 10s do. I have no experience with the other skis.

Sounds like you are a bit old school with your preference for ski length. Your mileage may vary, but I think you are looking too long given your preferences and specs. When I was in HS, I skied 204 straight skis, 198cm in college, 193 post college, been between 178-186 ever since... and 186 only with a full twin tip. 186cm would be way too long for me for a relatively flat tailed, or only slightly turned up tail.

Whatever you get, I guarantee you will be done with your Fischer Progressor 9+. You should stay with something in the 90s.

The best choice for you is a Stockli Stormrider 95 in 184. Since you ran your Fischers for 12+ years, you could make the argument that the Stockli's will only cost $10/month including some new bindings. If that doesn't work, get a second job.;)

Do a demo day - Head Kore 93 in 180, Nordica Enforcer 94 in 186, Blizzard Brahma 88 in 183 are good places to start.
I demoed all these skis and they were all enjoyable. I was amazed at the Head Kore lightness and ability to hold on hard snow.
6'2", 215.

I saw a lot of Enforcers out on the hill at WF last weekend.

Building on what a few others have said, if you are going in the low to mid 90s range you may want to get something that will not only hold well in firmer conditions, but will also float well for the occasional powder day. The skis on your list maybe seem to lean a little more toward firm snow than soft/powder(?), with tip width maxing our around 128. Something a little wider tip and tail may give you better float in powder.

The Head Kore 93 looks like a great all around ski, with a wider tip/tail for float.

I’ll suggest checking into the ski I recently purchased as well, the Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition. Like the Kore it’s a bit wider tip and tail. Haven’t skied on it yet, but by all reviews it does everything well. With generous tip and tail splay the 188cm actual measures closer to 185cm. The stated tips at 134mm measure closer to 136mm, helping with float. It also has Elan’s Amphibio asymmetrical rocker profile, with more camber on the inside edge (to aid carving) and more rocker on the outside edge (to make the ski more playful). A twist on the asymmetrical sidecut I’m skiing with my K2s. I’m a fan, it’s not a gimmick. It does create a dedicated left and right ski. What sold me on the Black Edition was the combination of weight and stability. The use of carbon in the Black brings the ski in at 1600g per ski, easily 300 to 500 grams lighter than the skis on your list, but the carbon keeps it from getting pushed around a lot, as lighter skis often can. I plan on using the ski both inbounds and for touring (putting Shifts on). With your stated desire for a lighter ski that’s great in soft snow and also does everything else well the Ripstick is worth a look.

I really like Blister gear reviews, they are very thorough and give great comparisons to other/similar skis. They really like the Kore as well.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Last edited:
I was amazed at the Head Kore lightness and ability to hold on hard snow.
6'2", 215.
Blister really liked the Kore 93 as well. For a ski that comes in under 1600g it’s very stable with great edge hold. Head’s racing heritage for you I guess. They’ve come a long way from the 205 Comp SL I raced in HS. If I hadn’t fallen for the Ripsticks I’d have looked at the Kore.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Charger Love thread? Those guys have me 90% convinced to go with a Vector for my next ski. I’m in a similar position to you in that I have the hard pack and normal crud covered by my current ski and really just need something wider and lighter for deeper snow and more adventurous days. I picked one up and turned it over in my hands the other day and really made me want it even more.

Hey I'm tele guy but love my Kore 93, I' on a 180 at 165 lbs no problem in the trees , soft or crud just me.

Have you looked at the Charger Love thread? Those guys have me 90% convinced to go with a Vector for my next ski. I’m in a similar position to you in that I have the hard pack and normal crud covered by my current ski and really just need something wider and lighter for deeper snow and more adventurous days. I picked one up and turned it over in my hands the other day and really made me want it even more.
Vector is not a groomer ski, soft snow only!

Vector is not a groomer ski, soft snow only!
Yes, That’s what I thought. The OP stated he has groomers covered. From his original question: “ I think I want a lighter, more soft snow oriented ski that I can use for mid/late season or when we get dumped on.”

MarcP, you are gonna need a few different pairs in your quiver. A good number is three but two can work. Right now you are only choosing one

Back