Recommendations for 2nd Ski (Start of a quiver)

MarcP

Hi all,
Long time lurker looking for advise.

Me: 45yo, 6'-3", 230 lbs, advanced skier (not expert)
Where: CNY and ADKs
What: Pretty much everything; groomers, bumps, trees, etc. No park.
Current Ski: Fischer Progressor 9+, 180cm, 70mm waist, 14m/19m dual radius sidecut. Bought brand new in 2008!

The Progressors are great for early season, afternoon scrapped off machine groomed hardpack, and the typical warm/wet-cold/dry cycle we have in CNY. When I bought them I knew I wanted something that wouldn't fold up under me on the hard snow. They are absolutely perfect for that and I'll never give them up.

However, carving railroad tracks is fine but at my usual 700 vert hill it gets boring. I find myself being drawn the ungroomed stuff when at all possible, and as you all know we do get dumped on here in CNY from time to time. So there's the issue. I've been skiing whatever powder we have, trees, the resulting cut-up chowder, and the eventual moguls on one of the better cheater GS skis from the past decade. It's forced me to be a better skier but I'm finally at a point that I can afford to get a second ski more suited for that stuff.

I think I want a lighter, more soft snow oriented ski that I can use for mid/late season or when we get dumped on. I want it to be decent in bumps, better in ungroomed powder/chowder, able to stand up to my weight and height without being floppy or noodlely, but don't want a 100MM+ powder board. Basically a low-mid 90's all mountain ski with some tip and tail rocker.

Options so far:
Stormrider 95 193cm (I would just buy this one if money was no object)
Enforcer 94 191cm
Ranger 92TI 185cm
Rustler 9 188cm

Anybody currently ride these? Any advise from the group on others I should consider?

Thanks!
Marc

I've been on the Enforcer (93) for about 4 or 5 seasons now ... I absolutely love them ... I'm primarily a Whiteface skier, and these are my "everyday" skis ... I find that they can stand up to the sometimes brutal conditions we get while at the same time, over the past couple of weeks, they've been great in the soft, deep snow too. I've also got the Nordica NRGY 100, which I use on true powder days, and the Nordica Spitfire Pro for when I just want to carve turns and go fast.

If you're looking for an all-mountain, every day ski, I don't think you can go wrong with the Enforcers.

I don't know skis or brands, but I'd say if you are looking for a fatter ski for NEW YORK, I'd go 96 at the waist with some rocker.

My list was very similar, another one to consider is the salomon qst and maybe the atomic vantage ti
oh and alot of folks rave abut the head kore 93

I would think with your size and background your going to want some metal

I tend to prefer a little narrower ski and ended up with the black crows orbs and love 'em

Last edited:
I like your list, those skis are the type I was gonna recommend! I demoed these 17-18 models, currently ski on '20/21 Head Kore 99s. To me, Ranger feels the most 'powerful' but still responsive. Rustler slightly more 'stable' feeling vs. poppy, The Nordica even more so- slightly damper, and heavier. Chatter vs pop... I prefer fun vs. stability, ymmv. On the lighter/poppier side of these kind of skis, I'd recommend the Head Kore 93. Softer flex for the Head Kore 93 vs the Kore 99, which has the best stiffness/weight mix I feel.

I could go into a subjective quiver babble, esp. given your current skis are 70mm waist. I agree w Harv that the wider versions of these skis (ie 99 vs. 93 mm waist) will do better in deeper/untrack snow... But think that the narrower versions of these skis are good everyday East ski.

Yes Kore 93! does everything
@BRLKED I just thought of something - do you know Jay DeJesus? He might of texted you a pic over the summer, I shuttled Raymond Brook with you a few years back...

Sorry, carry on!

Kore 93 my everyday driver, Kore 105 for deep days.

once you ski Stocklis you won’t want anything else

once you ski Stocklis you won’t want anything else
Oh stop. Stokli jumped the shark 7 years ago.
I would suggest figuring out what brand you favor. Get 85 under foot trucker ski for firm conditions. 90-95 softer ski for most conditions. 110-120 under foot for powder.
Using the same brand will get you skis with similar characteristics. They will compliment each other with less overlap.
This coming from a skier who has not down hilled this year.

Back