Questions for Car Experts

Harvey

Administrator
I'll start.

What do you think about using larger tires or wheels to increase ground clearance on a sedan that is only 5.3 inches off the ground? Cheap hack, dangerous stupidity or something in between?

How tight are the wheel wells with the factory tires? I think the car guys are gonna need more details

My wife loves the Prius and it is way cheaper than the RAV hybrid or prime. It comes in AWD, but the clearance is very low. I see they show it with "low profile tire." Wondering if that 5.3" is with those low tires. If so, could I get to 7 inches? Would the car drive ok? A CRV or RAV are 8.point.something and that is plenty for our needs.

Pretty cool. How much though? I want to maintain the mpg as much as possible. Not really looking for any off-road. Just want thinking about our semi-steep driveway. This will be a commuter car running between the mountains and Glens Falls, on good but sometimes snowy roads. On our own street I've faced the deepest unplowed snow I've ever driven in. See my signature for details.

#1 -- it will void your warranty should any issue be traced back to your modifying factory suspension
#2 -- without a lift kit you'll experience rubbing on the inner fender/splash guards
#3 -- most likely your speedo will be off
#4 -- buy a vehicle that meets ALL of your needs without modifying it. Factory shit is simply better.
#5 -- look hard at Subaru. They're all over the ADK for a reason

Would be great for something not under factory warranty

They know the answer, they just can't bring themselves to say it --- lol

From their site:

WILL IT VOID MY WARRANTY?​

This is one question we don't have a definitive answer for. With thousands of our lift kits on the road and cumulatively millions of miles of testing we have yet to see any parts fail and need to be warrantied. We also have numerous dealerships installing our lifts on brand new vehicles before leaving the showroom floor so our gut says warranty shouldn't be an issue. In all honesty, we feel it would ultimately boil down to the dealership and the part in question. If you install the lift and your window motor fails no dealership in their right mind would refuse replacement. On the other hand if you damage a suspension component rallying your Prius at your local OHV park theres a good chance the dealership is going to have some serious questions. All in all it's a risk we're willing to take and so far so good.

Pretty cool. How much though? I want to maintain the mpg as much as possible. Not really looking for any off-road. Just want thinking about our semi-steep driveway. This will be a commuter car running between the mountains and Glens Falls, on good but sometimes snowy roads. On our own street I've faced the deepest unplowed snow I've ever driven in. See my signature for details.
Either fix your 500ft of driveway so it works for the Prius or, if you want more ground clearance than the Prius, buy one of the 100 choices (CUV,SUV) that exist with everything else you need. Do not modify a new sedan to try and create ground clearance.

And the Prius awd is a bit different
If I recall it’s only active bellow 10 mph.

Back