ORDA Funding

Yes, the savings you'll get on your tax bill by trimming the New York state budget by less than 0.05% will totally be worth the $200 lift tickets.

Their budget is $105 million, fine. But what do they spend and who's holding anyone accountable for the monies they spend.

Taxes in this State are completely out of control - you have to start somewhere - I like skiing, I like Whiteface but my tax dollars should not be used to subsidize a recreational activity and to pump up a local economy. ORDA spends stupid money - spending money on a bobsled run is the definition of decadent and wasteful state spending. A bobsled run that a handful of people (teams) use. There's no way any bobsled tournament \ event brings in enough money to rationalize the spend. You can smoke all the legal NY weed you want, the Olympics are not returning to Lake Placid - plain and simple. I don't care the percent of the budget - it's ridiculous.

ORDA spends stupid money - spending money on a bobsled run is the definition of decadent and wasteful state spending. A bobsled run that a handful of people (teams) use. There's no way any bobsled tournament \ event brings in enough money to rationalize the spend. You can smoke all the legal NY weed you want, the Olympics are not returning to Lake Placid - plain and simple. I don't care the percent of the budget - it's ridiculous.
ORDA doesn’t even have Ski Mountaineering yet to boot.
Gotta be way less expensive than bobsled, luge, etc.

Maybe not Lake Placid specifically, but to New York State?
Lake Placid is the name of a NYS village in the NYS town of North Elba.
There’s also nearby lake with the same name (LP) not in the village, but in the town of North Elba.
WF & The Ho are all in North Elba.

Whiteface is actually in Wilmington. As far as the Olympics retuning to LP? I can't speak to the ice skating or DH skiing venues, but I don't think the Ho will work as a modern Olympic venue. The trails both old and new are great. But all these modern Olympic Games nordic venues, the start / finish is in a giant stadium the could be used for track and field or football. Ya come down outta the hills for the big sprint finish.

And IDK where they'd put the ski exchange for the skiathlon. Don't get me started about skiathlon.

Last edited:
Lake Placid is the name of a NYS village in the NYS town of North Elba.
There’s also nearby lake with the same name (LP) not in the village, but in the town of North Elba.
WF & The Ho are all in North Elba.
"Lake Placid" was meant as a general location. I am aware of the local geography and name places.
I will be more specific next time in my vernacular.

Taxes in this State are completely out of control - you have to start somewhere - I like skiing, I like Whiteface but my tax dollars should not be used to subsidize a recreational activity and to pump up a local economy. ORDA spends stupid money - spending money on a bobsled run is the definition of decadent and wasteful state spending. A bobsled run that a handful of people (teams) use. There's no way any bobsled tournament \ event brings in enough money to rationalize the spend. You can smoke all the legal NY weed you want, the Olympics are not returning to Lake Placid - plain and simple. I don't care the percent of the budget - it's ridiculous.
Empire State Redevelopments annual budget is $285,638,000 for 2024, nearly 3x ORDA's budget. Even without ORDA your tax dollars are going to subsidize other recreational activities and pumping up local economies. Also keep in mind revenue from ORDA brings back over 60% of that spending. But more importantly where will the Jamaicans go if they can't practice at Mt. Van Ho?

Back