Nordic Combined Might Get Cut from Olympic Winter Games

If anyone has any doubts that the Olympics have abandoned any pretense of being a showcase for amateur athletes, go no further than the announcement that LeBron James, possibly the richest athlete in the world, will be carrying the American flag into the opening ceremony in Paris.

Don't ask me to explain that breakdancing thing.

If anyone has any doubts that the Olympics have abandoned any pretense of being a showcase for amateur athletes, go no further than the announcement that LeBron James, possibly the richest athlete in the world, will be carrying the American flag into the opening ceremony in Paris.

Don't ask me to explain that breakdancing thing.

Olympics haven't been amateur for decades. Soviet Union / Russia provides financial support for athletes. Many French and Italian athletes have nominal, no-show "jobs" as customs officers.

That pretense was abandoned at least by 1992 (see "the Dream Team"). LeBron carrying a flag doesn't really say much that wasn't already said. It may change a period to an exclamation point on a sentence that was already written.

But even before the Dream Team thing, the Olympics were professionalized... it was only the mainstream US sports that were not sending their best athletes in their respective disciplines (baseball still doesn't, correct?). You would have to go way back for true amateur-ism in which most Olympians were athletes on the side of their day jobs and not full-time athletes.

--

Any ways, I never watch the Olympics. I raise a concerned eye at the economics of the games and what they can do host cities and nations in their aftermath (and the corruption leading up to the games).

I think tightening things up would probably help the games overall. Fewer disciplines and fewer venues, so host countries can actually afford it and can leave a lasting legacy. Having a surfing competition halfway around the world from the host city is bonkers and calls into question why a host city is even needed.

You might as well split up the entire thing and allow the best venues to host each sport and spread the entire games across the world. Logistical nightmare, but it will really decrease the negative economic impacts, will allow poorer countries to host something, and lessens the burden of building full infrastructure for a one-time event.

That pretense was abandoned at least by 1992 (see "the Dream Team"). LeBron carrying a flag doesn't really say much that wasn't already said. It may change a period to an exclamation point on a sentence that was already written.

But even before the Dream Team thing, the Olympics were professionalized... it was only the mainstream US sports that were not sending their best athletes in their respective disciplines (baseball still doesn't, correct?). You would have to go way back for true amateur-ism in which most Olympians were athletes on the side of their day jobs and not full-time athletes.

--

Any ways, I never watch the Olympics. I raise a concerned eye at the economics of the games and what they can do host cities and nations in their aftermath (and the corruption leading up to the games).

I think tightening things up would probably help the games overall. Fewer disciplines and fewer venues, so host countries can actually afford it and can leave a lasting legacy. Having a surfing competition halfway around the world from the host city is bonkers and calls into question why a host city is even needed.

You might as well split up the entire thing and allow the best venues to host each sport and spread the entire games across the world. Logistical nightmare, but it will really decrease the negative economic impacts, will allow poorer countries to host something, and lessens the burden of building full infrastructure for a one-time event.
Permanent venues. But that doesn't buy too many mansions or Ferraris.

I'd like to think that Paris won't be funneling money to crony capitalists quite like Sochi or Beijing.

I said something similar to rivercOil's post in some thread waaay back, that the olympics should be distilled down to something smaller and more pure, especially the winter Olympics. It would open them up to more host nations/cities with a lot less of an infrastructure investment.

I'd like to think that Paris won't be funneling money to crony capitalists quite like Sochi or Beijing...
It would open them up to more host nations/cities with a lot less of an infrastructure investment.
France spent >billion to try to clean up the Seine and still had a shitshow with triathletes becoming ill after their swim.
Cuse’s Onondaga Lake could be cleaner.

Back