My Big Fat Drive to Colorado and back.

After I left Franklin, Google had me drive across lower NC, a little Georgia, northern Mississippi, before my next stop, Memphis. Man, did I pass a lot of churches. And it was Sunday, lots were full.
Second time for Memphis for me. Fun town for a tourist. Did all the big attractions the last time (Graceland, Sun Studios, Stax museum, Civil Rights museum), all recommended. This time was just a Sunday evening on Beale Street. Good food, great music. Paid ten bucks to see the best bar band ever in BB Kings. Funky street scene.

On to Summit County. One day at Copper, three at ABasin. (Did I say this was an Ikon tour?) Copper looked good, and I went out back to see the new Three Bears lift, which is quite impressive (well, new to me, haven't been there for six years). Conditions were very Spring like, trying to find corn before it turned into slow slush. But, coverage was great, and crowds light. My best yard sale of the trip, skiing too fast in cement. I got cheers.

Copper has one of the strangest lifts I've ever seen. They replaced the American Express with a combo six pack and gondola. Seriously. One side, you enter for a gondola box, the other, a six chair. Hard to get a picture to illustrate, but, I tried.
Our big lift is a chondola as well.

Ever since learning of the San Luis Valley and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains I've felt this immense urge to get out that way and explore. Such a weird mix of different eco-systems, people and folk lore. Great trip!
It’s one of my favorite places for sure.

Killer tr Benny! Thanks for taking the time to post it up in here.

My last obtainable bucket list item is to be at Aspen Highlands for their legendary closing day party.

One of these days….

We’ve been talking about New Orleans lately. It’s a hard spot to commit to visit for the working man skier and mountain biker so I’ve never been but I’d like to.
my kid went to school there
i have been close to 20 times...The french quarter is like times square, you go once...the place is all about the food..no other place like it...

my kid went to school there
i have been close to 20 times...The french quarter is like times square, you go once...the place is all about the food..no other place like it...
Food and unique culture from what I hear. I’d like to experience the place.

Food and unique culture from what I hear. I’d like to experience the place.
Here’s some “info” but consider the sources...bunch of crazy drunkin Rebels, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Looking back, I forgot to emphasize why early April is a pretty awesome time to travel to high Colorado. All mountain towns I visited were pretty much devoid of tourists, therefore beds were cheap and easy to find. I paid 125 for that room two blocks to the gondola at Aspen, which would have easily cost me twice as much a month before, if it was available. Summit and Breck were a little busy, but, they're always kind of busy, because of the close proximity of Denver. It's practically a suburb of one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country. But I did score a room in a nice B&B in Frisco with a great breakfast for a very reasonable price.
Taos was ridiculously empty.

I saw some pictures that a ski club from Britain posted on Facebook from Val d'Siere/Tignes in France just a few days ago that looked very similar to my pictures of ABasin, and they said they were having a great time on 4/28, so that might be something to consider, too. I'll bet it's easier to get a bed over there at that time, too, and then combine it with a trip to Paris at the end.

Back