Moving and Reusing a Small Building

Harvey

Administrator
In about 3 years, I won't need this anymore. It's 9x12 and has been in use for 15 years as a bathroom and a utility head. Doors and windows are good quality.

I don't think we will have a use for it, when we build our house, but I reserve the right to change my mind. No matter what happens it will have to be moved.

It's not on a foundation, it's just sitting on a stack of 6x6 wolmanized. It would be about disconnecting utilities and getting it on a big truck I guess. I wonder if any one would want it, or be able to move it a short distance? I hate to see it get disassembled and disposed of. I'd part with it for cheap.

Practical, semi-practical, ridiculous? How hard to change the inside to another use?

If it is worth doing I'll move this thread into Gear for Sale in a year or two. ?

20200911_173804.jpg

Attachments

• small-building - 1 (1).jpg
    small-building - 1 (1).jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
You can NEVER have enough storage on a piece of property. I wouldn't get rid of that thing. When you get your tractor ;) you can drag it to a different location.

I agree with Cork and Camp, don't sell it. That cabin is the start of your private village, and it could serve many purposes in the future. Think of the cost of rebuilding that structure if you later decided that you did need a small outbuilding.

... I reserve the right to change my mind. No matter what happens it will have to be moved.

I've thought about this for years. The only spot that is flat, and somewhat logical is on our driveway's circle, below the house spot. If we decide to go with a separate garage (still TBD) that would be cluttered.

If I keep it permanently I'll want a foundation.

So how would you move it? It's at the top of a little hill too.

It's regular old framing (not like the cabin which is timberframe, and super rigid). It's not indestructible.

Harv i agree with the other guys, HOLD ON TO THAT, it may well be useful for many unforeseen events: hey and IF you ever get in Zelda's doghouse :);) ...well ya know could be an extra "guest room" just sayin ' way too damn nice a bldg to sell for nada.

No opinion on whether you should keep it or not, but the question did lead me to find a few videos of people moving small buildings. Entertaining to watch.

My neighbor is getting a new shed. He was kind enough to offer me his old shed (it’s either 9x12 or 10x14), all I have to do is move it about 200 feet or so from his back yard to my side yard. His shed guy wants to charge $450. That seems expensive to me for such a short move. I’m thinking of going with the ‘jack up and roll on pipes’ procedure. Heck, they built Stonehenge and the Great Pyramids out of 10 ton stones with methods like that back in the day, right? I have no clue how difficult it will actually be.....

My neighbor is getting a new shed. He was kind enough to offer me his old shed (it’s either 9x12 or 10x14), all I have to do is move it about 200 feet or so from his back yard to my side yard. His shed guy wants to charge $450. That seems expensive to me for such a short move. I’m thinking of going with the ‘jack up and roll on pipes’ procedure. Heck, they built Stonehenge and the Great Pyramids out of 10 ton stones with methods like that back in the day, right? I have no clue how difficult it will actually be.....

my ancestors say it was difficult and the bosses were real mean..but they got it done, then quite..

ROFLMAO Jason, if I'm allowed to. Has enough time passed?

That top video looks like it would come up against limitations if you had to move it down a hill (√) or over uneven terrain (√) or any kind of significant distance (TBD).

Since I got three years maybe I just see how it goes for JT. :D

Back