Loon Mtn Jan 5 2022

Not only I’m a hypocrite I am also a registered idiot.
Loon isn’t on epic
But on ikon oh well I was trying to ski Independents this season.

If your there on a weekday it’s worth your time.
Heard the weekend are a zoo

Umm, Loon is owned by Boyne Resorts and on Ikon. :)

First time I did a ski safari to New England the idea was to check out Loon and Cannon while staying near Loon. It was in December before I picked up my daughter from her high school near Boston. Cannon barely had anything open, so I skied two days at Loon instead. I like Loon. Have been back once. Ended up joining a local group of seniors who were at Loon because Cannon wasn't skiable.

Second try the next season I was going to ski Cannon after being in North Conway. Nope. A Ski Diva who is a Cannon local said it was too icy and windy. It was also frigid. I stopped by on my way the next morning just to see the base lodge. Upper mountain was closed due to wind and there was no visibility. The "old school" grooming report map was posted in the hallway near the cafeteria.

I did eventually get a nice day at Cannon, with a local guide. Not really on my "go back again" list for the northeast.

View attachment 11849
As a somewhat local and Cannon passholder for the last 14 years, this narrative is like catnip for a large % of the diehard Cannon crowd. They love anything that reinforces the no frills/terrible weather/bulletproof surface conditions reputation of the place.

As a somewhat local and Cannon passholder for the last 14 years, this narrative is like catnip for a large % of the diehard Cannon crowd. They love anything that reinforces the no frills/terrible weather/bulletproof surface conditions reputation of the place.
The seniors I skied with at Loon included a couple men who apparently ski Cannon more or less every weekday. The women weren't quite so diehard. So the guys were being sociable that day. My Ski Diva friend who lives near Cannon knew exactly who they were.

The day I stopped by the base, there were some diehards in the bar when I stopped by around lunch time. I got the feeling they'd been there for a while. ;)

Not only I’m a hypocrite I am also a registered idiot.
Loon isn’t on epic
But on ikon oh well I was trying to ski Independents this season.

If your there on a weekday it’s worth your time.
Heard the weekend are a zoo
I'm heading there Super Bowl weekend, so hopefully it's lighter than usual. Usually it is.

Back