Loon Mtn Jan 5 2022

jasonwx

Interesting day
My daughter lives in Cambridge so went up the night before. We planned on skiing Cannon Mt. I have never been and it’s a easy 2 hr drive up 93.
The weather was suppose to be overcast and uneventful. We arrived to 50+ mph wind. The park lot attendant said the Mt was closed for wind and all the up slopes have been scoured clean of their snow due to higher winds.
Plan B Loon
Is about 5 miles as the crow flys from cannon.
Not so much as a breath of wind.
I declared at the beginning of the season I wouldn’t ski at any Epic pass areas. I’m a fucking hypocrite.
Any way loon was a so much fun and conditions were great.
And the new 8 pack is great too.
2E9318C0-326F-4B3C-AF41-CECCD750676E.jpeg

Probably a south or southwest wind. That totally kills Cannon. It's fascinating to see how bad Cannon is with those winds even when nearby areas outside of the notch are fairly calm. Loon is south of the notch, faces north, and fairs much better with that wind direction.

Probably a south or southwest wind. That totally kills Cannon. It's fascinating to see how bad Cannon is with those winds even when nearby areas outside of the notch are fairly calm. Loon is south of the notch, faces north, and fairs much better with that wind direction.
Exactly what happened

I declared at the beginning of the season I wouldn’t ski at any Epic pass areas. I’m a fucking hypocrite.
Umm, Loon is owned by Boyne Resorts and on Ikon. :)

First time I did a ski safari to New England the idea was to check out Loon and Cannon while staying near Loon. It was in December before I picked up my daughter from her high school near Boston. Cannon barely had anything open, so I skied two days at Loon instead. I like Loon. Have been back once. Ended up joining a local group of seniors who were at Loon because Cannon wasn't skiable.

Second try the next season I was going to ski Cannon after being in North Conway. Nope. A Ski Diva who is a Cannon local said it was too icy and windy. It was also frigid. I stopped by on my way the next morning just to see the base lodge. Upper mountain was closed due to wind and there was no visibility. The "old school" grooming report map was posted in the hallway near the cafeteria.

I did eventually get a nice day at Cannon, with a local guide. Not really on my "go back again" list for the northeast.

Cannon Dec 2018 - 1.jpg

Damn that lift looks expensive!

Sometimes it’s not about where or the what you ski as much as it is simply finding good conditions.
It’s a big one.

JW sometimes a few miles, slope direction and/or increased elevation makes a huge difference
Glad ya got some good snow even if ya are an admitted fucking hypocrite.

Sometimes it’s not about where or the what you ski as much as it is simply finding good conditions.
When skiing early season because you happened to be in the area in New England, good conditions are a bonus. Just having enough trails open to not get too bored after a couple hours is enough. Assuming midweek when only the local seniors with season passes are booting up before the lifts start spinning in the morning.

Besides Loon, I checked out Wildcat (before VR bought Peak), Attitash (same day as Wildcat), Bretton Woods, and Waterville Valley during December while my daughter was in school near Boston. The trail maps made far more sense because I skied the few groomers that were open. Skied at a few places in NY and VT too when she was in school in Lake Placid. Makes it much easier to appreciate the posts around here.

I've never been to Loon and don't know anything about it but it looks like you had a fun day with your daughter. Great job.

Interesting day
My daughter lives in Cambridge so went up the night before. We planned on skiing Cannon Mt. I have never been and it’s a easy 2 hr drive up 93.
The weather was suppose to be overcast and uneventful. We arrived to 50+ mph wind. The park lot attendant said the Mt was closed for wind and all the up slopes have been scoured clean of their snow due to higher winds.
Plan B Loon
Is about 5 miles as the crow flys from cannon.
Not so much as a breath of wind.
Any way loon was a so much fun and conditions were great.
And the new 8 pack is great too.
View attachment 11835
Wow, I'm hitting Loon next month and had no idea they have such a lift. If they keep making these so comfortable, no one will want to get off them and ski!

Back