Let’s Talk Packs!

JTG

Whether you are experienced in touring and know what you like/need, or you are new to touring (thanks to COVID) and you picked up touring gear but haven’t yet given serious thought to packs (or even if you just like to ski with a pack on inbounds lift-served days).....a good pack is a crucial part of your adventure/touring setup.

What are you using or thinking about? What features are most important in a pack? What size do you prefer? Diagonal carry or A frame?

Let’s see how much quality info we can pack into this thread!

Last edited:
My first pack for skiing was a simple EMS backpack. Rugged, but no features whatsoever. It did allow for A frame carry, so I was able to use it back in the day when the Lake Chutes at Breck required a serious hike.

Next “ski” pack fit with my Intro to touring. I started with frame touring bindings...and a shitty High Sierra pack. It did have an internal frame and some features, which helped for humping 50 pounds of gear up to Tuckerman’s, hiking all the way.

My touring arsenal matured with lighter skis and tech bindings....as did my pack selection. My go to pack since I’ve been skiing the backcountry has been the Black Diamond Alias 35. Rugged, top entry, lots of useful pockets for storage, dedicated front compartment for snow tools (shovel, probe, saw). This particular pack has the Avalung feature (with or without was the same price) which I’ve never used and would never want to. This pack has served me well. At 35 liters of storage space I always fill the pack completely for a full day in the backcountry.

On our trip to Crystal last January I won a prize in a NWAC raffle....an Ortovox Haute Route 40 pack. Looks like it has great features....including a helmet carry feature which the BD pack doesn’t have....but I haven’t used it in the field yet. I was looking forward to the additional space with this 40.

I say ‘was’ because I just picked up a different 40 liter pack....a used Black Diamond Saga JetForce 40 pack. I’ve been wanting to pick up an airbag pack for a few years. Spending time in avalanche terrain it’s a nice feature to have in the event things go bad even when making smart decisions...you just never know. I wanted to get the battery powered fan type so I didn’t have to worry about flying and CO2 cartridges. TAY has a Yardsale board on the forum and I’ve gotten some good stuff there, including this gently used pack. Hopefully I’ll get to put this pack (and not the airbag!) to use this season.

Last edited:
It all depends what type of adventuring you plan on doing. I haven't bought a pack since 2005, so I have no idea what type of new features packs have. You need something to carry all your crap that can also be flexible enough to meet your various needs.

I like having a big opening up top and lot of space. I'd rather have more space and not need it than vice versa. Zippers and an opening on the pack's back are nice for fishing things out of the bottom without having to dig.

Do they even make ski oriented packs that do not do diagonal ski carry? Who the hell still buys a touring pack and goes A frame? I don't ski in avalanche terrain so don't need avi tool sections.

Packs are one of those things you buy once and keep until it rips or the zips fail. I don't see the need to over think this one or splurge on upgrades. It either holds all the gear you need with easy access or it doesn't.

I've used A-frame for boot packing steep hiking trails and steeps, seemed OK to me. Diagonal carry when I rode two-up/Canadian doing snowmobile laps would have been better, in hindsight. I've also trended towards A frame in part because it offers more anchor points w my setup.

Dedicated/easy access to safety gear is essential. A helmet carry is important for me, although better touring helmets are popping up. Insulated section for a hydration hose is key, versus having to worry about 'clearing the line' to prevent freezing. The Osprey Kode checks all those boxes, I think I have the 32L, there is also a 42L etc. 42L would be clutch for longer trips. It has a system of zipping way open that works great for the main storage, and organization for important bits.

If I was throwing down for a baller BC pack I'd def consider avy bags, especially gas-pressurized versus fan systems. Travelling w the canisters could get weird. I see avy bags as secondary versus beacon/shovel/probe. If I was heli skiing or booking a Silverton trip, I would def. look into this more.

If I was throwing down for a baller BC pack I'd def consider avy bags, especially gas-pressurized versus fan systems. Travelling w the canisters could get weird.
Are you saying you’d rather have a gas canister over a fan system?

I definitely wanted the fan system because you can’t fly with a full canister, and I wouldn’t want to have to worry about finding a place to get it filled on arrival. Also, gas canister systems are single deployment, whereas fan systems will get you as many as four on a single battery charge, which would be a benefit on multi-day trips.

Airbag packs are definitely a secondary safety net, no way fo they replace proper safety equipment, snow evaluation, and excellent decision making.

Who the hell still buys a touring pack and goes A frame?
Catching up on some episodes of The Fifty. Who still goes A frame? Cody Townsend, for one. As far as I can tell, he’s no slouch! ;)
A4C7BBC1-73F4-4843-A70C-7C3FA7A94806.png

This pack, and pack company are history. But this is the best extended adventure daypack ever.

MD5mMzjIkZH3TiEAlbUSThNMalWzzQtZj0khlPDV.jpg

I have used the Bridger for overnight adventure in warm weather, too.

I have a bigger version for overnight, the Terraplane. That pack is amazin, even with 60 lbs in it.

Hiked the AT from Ga. to Roanoke before journeying to Ole Miss, just use small ones now. May try again.

Back