Lake Minnewaska, NY 10/11/20 - MTB

jamesdeluxe

From the dozens of times I've gone to Lake Minnewaska/Mohonk over the past 20+ years (here are reports from a gorgeous early autumn day in 2008 and berry season in 2009), I've never seen such a mess on the access road as yesterday. With foliage in the Gunks at near peak this weekend and people desperate to do something outside during COVID, I was expecting to see crowds; however, not like this, where all of the lots were full and everyone was leaving their cars along the road and ignoring "absolutely no parking here!" signs. I even considered paying the $20/person fee to park in the Mohonk Preserve but signs said that lots there were likewise full.

By the time we reached the Lake Minnewaska lots at 2 pm, they were reporting waits of up to an hour to pay the $10/car fee so I followed the group consensus and parked a quarter mile up the road. As we started riding, a police car was warning everyone at top volume that they were going to ticket and tow cars left on the road. Most people ignored him, as did we. Not an auspicious start, it felt like we were in pre-pandemic Times Square instead of Shawangunk Paradise.

My riding partner for the day was a former colleague/friend from Manhattan who, unbeknownst to me (or I missed this detail during the planning), had never ridden off-road before. The Lower Awosting trail was a perfect place for her to warm up and get accustomed to non-paved surfaces while checking out the colorful foliage. Was great to watch her catch on quickly with no falls or end-overs on the partially rocky trail around the lake.
20201011_141910.jpg

For the next 75 minutes, we encountered less than a dozen people -- shocking considering how overrun the Lake Minnewaska sector was.
20201011_142029.jpg

Approaching the steep uphill to Lake Awosting:
20201011_143430.jpg

20201011_143532.jpg

Starting on the lake loop:
20201011_144646.jpg

20201011_144816.jpg

20201011_150242.jpg

While rounding the turn at the far end of the lake, clouds came over and it got noticeably colder. Still, the colors were gorgeous:
20201011_151114.jpg

Riding past the public swimming area:
20201011_151956.jpg

Back into the hemlock forest:
20201011_152207.jpg

Overlooking the northern end of Lake Awosting with the edge of the Catskills in the distance:
20201011_152938.jpg

My original plan was to return via the Castle Point carriageway, which has so many money shots of the Silurian quartz conglomerate (<-- I looked that up) rock formations and the eastern half of the Gunks; however, concerns about the well-being of my car won out and we glided back along the gentle Upper Awosting trail. No stunning views but plenty of nice foliage and several impressive rock outcroppings:
20201011_153436.jpg

20201011_153838.jpg

The Lake Minnewaska sector was unbelievably crowded so we hurried back to the car to find it unticketed and untowed, yay. I've ridden these trails so much over the years, I could do it blindfolded; thus, going to Lake Minnewaska is more like visiting an old friend than going on a new adventure. Still, it was great to introduce someone to off-road biking and act as tour guide to this fantastic area. The beauty here doesn't get old.

Last edited:
Boy the Gunks are pretty, even on a partially overcast day.

Nice!

I can only imagine the crowds since Covid.
We almost turned around and went straight to post-ride drinks. It looked like peak international arrival time at JFK. Good thing that we pressed on -- look at how empty the trails were outside the Lake Minnewaska loop.

James and I rode there about ten years ago
I remember the fields of blueberries and the swimming holes. Nice place for a beginner rider

looks like an awesome ride, how would a gravel bike fare there? DId you do the loop around the lake, is there a preferred direction?

looks like an awesome ride, how would a gravel bike fare there? DId you do the loop around the lake, is there a preferred direction?

Gorg
The place is perfect for a gravel bike even more so then a mtb bike

DId you do the loop around the lake, is there a preferred direction?
A second yes to a gravel bike at Minnewaska/Mohonk. There are short sections throughout with rocks but nothing remotely technical.

Sunday, we started on Lower Awosting trail and went counter-clockwise around Lake Awosting then back down on Upper Awosting. These are the easiest rides. That said; it really doesn't matter which direction you go. There are some uphill sections on the Castle Point and Hamilton Point trails that provide a bit of a cardio workout but nothing tough. Below are the maps (one for Minnewaska, one for Mohonk) that they give you at the parking lots. For the best experience, go on a weekday; however, most weekends are fine.

Minnewaska.jpg

Mohonk.jpg

Last edited:
Back