Gore Mountain, NY: April 10-12 2014

Harvey

Administrator
Ski Days 25, 26 and 27. I think.

What a sweet trip. Any and all predicted precip fell at night and each day was 100% sunny.

Day 1: On the way over to the mountain I could see that the river was up, but not that much. We really hadn't had any blowtorch weather and the corn was on a slow simmer on the grill.

Hudson-River.jpg

I realize the pic below from Uncas has been taken a zillion times. But the cover is remarkable for the date. FKNA

Summit-Coverage.jpg

Gore Mountain April 10, 2014

Rumor and Lies were open when I got on the Straightbrook Chair. I tweeted my excitement, while I pondered my options...

Pumped.png

I had only skied one day in the last 4 weeks and was thinking the Dark Side might be prudent vs going right for the steep stuff. As if reading my mind? ML responds...

Lies-Rumor.png

LOL: I learned later that he was actually calling BS on me being at Gore at all, not recommending trail choice.

But... I took his "advice" anyway and headed for Lies...

Lies.jpg

If anybody knows Mike say hi to him for me. He was everywhere and as soon as I'd see him I'd go for my camera. The guy rips...

Ripper.jpg
>

Corn-Skier.jpg

Mike M goes deep

Rumor-Lies.jpg

Rumor and Lies were awesome. BIG soft bumps that you could totally ski but it was work.

Like @Cork says "everyone has to ski Rumor in their own way."

I was solo and somehow... about to quit or take a bread? around 1:30. WTF. It was getting a little hazy. I didn't want to head in, but I hadn't eaten yet that day and was really thirsty too.

I was riding the Top Ridge chair planning to Scareview out.

Then @Duck skis below me, calls out... and we ended up skiing 'til close.

Sun got bright again and we cruised the afternoon away. FTW.

Duck-Edge.jpg

Day 2 started soft as temps never went below freezing overnight. While that has some disadvantages, the big pro is when you are ripping the fresh cord you are laying down serious TRENCHES. Lovin that chit.

Showcase.jpg

Showcase

Topridge.jpg

Topridge

Lower-Steilhang-Headwall.jpg

OMG Coverage

Trails with less traffic like Twister were sweet. It was all sweet really.

View-from-Twister.jpg

Twister

Cork.jpg

Chez Shaman

The-Climb.jpg

Skier.jpg

Super Mario aka Tony Joe

Day 3 was a little warmer and slushier. But it may have been the most fun of all.

The group was big and because I knew I had some decent pics in the can for my blog post, I kept the camera mostly in my pocket and just skied.

So. Much. Fun.

YUKON.jpg

Yukon

Shaman.jpg

Cork

Chuck-Dark-Side.jpg

Noted Local: The Pied Piper

Duck.jpg

Duck duckin'

This was one of the best times I've ever had at Gore. Still pumped about it.

Back