Caberfae Peaks, Cadillac, Mi 1/17/24 with MarzNC

MiSkier

Back in October MarzNC said she was going to be in Michigan this winter and wanted to know if we could meet up and ski somewhere. The first place that came to my mind was Caberfae Peaks. We could have skied in SE Michigan at Mt Brighton and my drive would have been 1/2 vs what is normally 3.5 hours turned into 4 hours with snow and ice covered roads, but it was well worth it to show her around one of the oldest ski areas in the US.

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

I arrived at the entrance of Caberfae Peaks around 8:40 am and it was 11 degrees out and not forecasted to get much warmer. I think when it snows the entrance to Caberfae is one the prettiest there is.

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

As I pulled into the parking lot you could tell it was going to be a great day just by looking up the East Peak lift. But first I had to meet MarzNC and have the $12 breakfast buffet.

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4338.JPG

After around 18 inches of natural snow and very cold weather allowing the snowmaking crew to blow some very nice dry snow, I have to say this was the best snow if the season by far. The snow was a very nice packed powder and the one snow gun you could ski under was also a nice dry snow that you did not stick all all while under the snow gun.

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

With it being a weekday and being cold out the crowds were very low to almost like having a private ski hill. The runs were limited due to the South Peak not being open yet, but the SMI Pole Cats were doing their thing and it will open this weekend just in time for the Lower Peninsula Telefest.

IMG_4316.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4339.jpg

It was a little windy on the top of the hill and there was also an on and off light snow that feel all day which did not hurt conditions at all.

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

One of the things I like is even with all the changes over the years Caberfae leaves parts of their history standing so you can still get an idea how it used to be, even if it is your first time there.

IMG_4323.jpg

I really enjoyed being able to show a fellow NYSkiBloger how we make a mountain out of a molehill here in Michigan. We don't have the most vertical or longest runs, but there is a huge passion for skiing in this state.

IMG_4337.JPG

Also here is a link to the history of Caberfae Peaks
https://www.michiganskier.com/ski-news/feature-articles/caberfaehistory/

Nice!
Looks like ya got some wind buffed ❄️ drifts to boot.
If they took down the rope the dang 🏂boarders could have 1/2 of a 1/2 pipe.

Now that’s northern hospitality for a southern belle! (Massanutten)
I had a grand time at Caberfae with @MiSkier and a few Michigan locals. Skiing "peaks" that were built up over years of moving the sand from down to up was a first.
I really enjoyed being able to show a fellow NYSkiblogger how we make a mountain out of a molehill here in Michigan. We don't have the most vertical or longest runs, but there is a huge passion for skiing in this state.
After skiing with locals at Caberfae and Nub's Nob, I'm quite certain that the passion for skiing in the midwest is a bit different than what I feel when skiing midweek at old school ski areas in New England. For sure the people who ski at hills that get lake effect snow are more likely to be comfortable in deep powder if they go west and are lucky enough to catch a powder storm. I've skied fluffy powder in VT and NH over 6 inches deep a couple times, but it's pretty rare.

At Nub's today, I met a few women who didn't learned to ski until after age 50 who are over 70. They were part of the 70 Plus Ski Club annual 3-day gathering, which was the reason I chose to drive to Michigan this week. The gathering included a Nastar course this morning at 10am (cancelled on Wed due to low visibility). The oldest male racer was in the 90+ category. The oldest female racer was over 85.

The day lodges at Caberfae are impressive. Very practical and user friendly. They seem bigger than the day lodges I've experienced in New England at old school ski areas.

Blackmer lodge has the cafeteria, a snack shop, and the pub. Skyview Day Lodge is up the hill at the hot of the magic carpet. That's become the place for brown bagging as of this season. The women who showed up for Ladies Day had their lunch there. A few came early enough to enjoy the buffet breakfast inside the MacKenzie Lodge. Wednesdays a day ticket is $25 for women.

Blackmer Day Lodge
Caberfae Blackmer lodge 1.jpeg
Caberfae Blackmer 3.jpeg
Caberfae Blackmer 2.jpeg

Skyview Day Lodge
Caberfae Skyview lodge 1.jpeg
Caberfae Skyview lodge 2.jpeg
Caberfae Skyview lodge 3.jpeg

Since I could make it to Caberfae before dark, I decided to stay at the MacKenzie Lodge and not have to drive from Cadillac (30 min on dry road) in the morning. The rate for a room without a balcony for a view of the slopes was $99, includes a mini-fridge and there is a public microwave in the lobby. What I found out when I called from Cadillac to check there was a room available was that the restaurant was open 4-8pm. So I had a really good dinner at Beatie's Bar & Grill, instead of a microwave meal.

Most of the rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor. No elevator but I travel with small bags. Parking is behind the lodge. In the morning I checked out after breakfast. Since it wasn't busy, I could leave my car and use the locker room to boot up. It's a short walk over to the lifts. I could get my ticket at the hotel desk. I used my Indy pass.

Caberfae Mackenzie Lodge.jpeg
Caberfae Mackenzie lockers.jpeg
Caberfae base.jpeg

Last edited:
I lucked out that there had been a good snowstorm before my trip to Michigan. Given that my home hill in Virginia exists because of 100% snowmaking, it wasn't a big deal that Caberfae didn't have all three peaks open yet. I enjoyed getting a feel for Caberfae. I listened to the 2021 podcast by @Stu again while driving to Michigan. That was recorded before East Peak opened.

North Peak, the first constructed peak
Caberfae view of South Peak.jpeg

Entrance to Backcountry, requires hiking back to the base after skiing down so wasn't up for exploring
Caberfae Backcountry Jan2024.jpeg

Sign at the bar in Mackenzie lodge
Caberfae teaching sign.jpeg

Classic signpost
Caberfae signpost.jpeg

Back