Bring the Stoke

With my ski season lasting about 7 months, it's actually a race to do all the warm weather activities I want to do in the 5 month off season. That being said, I'll be at Killington the first weekend they are open.

Well being in Western NY, my home mountain Bristol, they've had late starts the last 5+ years so it's hard to get too excited about skiing too soon. The last 5 plus years I haven't bothered to go until January when more of the terrain is open because otherwise it hasn't been worth burning a pass from my bakers dozen.

Also was really in summer mode in September til mother nature abruptly pulled good weather out from under us on 9/21. Now focusing on MTB riding.

Did some downhill mtb riding this summer at Killington and wow they have quite the set up! Also took a good tumble but no serious injury :)

For this winter my wife and I bought Ikon passes for the first time. Also a first for us, we booked a trip 5 months out instead of our usual 3-6 week prior strategy. Therefore already have a western trip booked for late January plus another western ski trip not yet planned approximately mid March. Also looking forward to using the ikon at Sugarbush and Killington.

Was thinking about some new skis this season, like Blizzard Bonafide or Rustler 10 to supplement my Brahma, but haven't seen any deals drawing my attention. Otherwise we have no dire need for equipment/ski apparel only more frivolity.

Otherwise I'm mostly lurking here and enjoying reading some articles posted by regulars.

I haven't been thinking about skiing at all until yesterday. I opened up our storage closet to get out my gear for a quick riding trip up to Utah and sitting there in the corner were my skis. My mind was all of a sudden flooded with thoughts about the sensation of the turn. All at once I could feel loading my skis and getting that explosive, releasing sensation, the back and forth motion and putting it all on that single, downhill edge. I visualized that little bit of air time in between the most aggressive turns and the high speed g out turn below a big, steep headwall. I got a little giddy and just like that, my plans to take a winter mostly off have been foiled again!

So here's to making tracks and trenches! A few pics of signatures made by my friends and I. Happy fall to all of you savages!

EA13A34F-9D52-423E-AD87-8979CAF01597_1_201_a.jpeg
8ED30B66-69AB-4E72-B581-BA930F1FCBCC_1_201_a.jpeg
2B0F8466-F529-4223-AB35-107FFA6F1617_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm looking forward to the peace, quiet and solitude that comes with a powder day out in the woods away from the crowds. It's been a rather disorienting couple of months getting "back to normal". Fall is always a busy season for me but this year especially has felt like playing catch up for what was missed/lost over the past two and a half years. Being wrapped the insulation of a thick coating of powder snow will be the warm hug I need to be brought back to center.

Back