Anybody have a Hybrid SUV?

MarzNC

Around NC, there are very few hybrid SUVs. Anybody here have one?

Only reason my husband has agreed to buy a new car is that our daughter is taking over the 10yo minivan with 300,000+ miles. She ended up in an apartment instead of in a dorm at her college because of COVID-19. I've been lobbying for a new car for a while, but the minivan has a Lifetime Warranty.

We did a test drive of a RAV4, a CRV, and a Ford Escape. Took a look at the Mitsubishi Outlander but I really don't need that big a car any more.

Friend bought the RAV he likes it alot...don't buy the ford

We thought about it, but up until very recently, CRV was almost 100% a highway car. Hybrids make much more sense on short trips and around town, I don't think there is as much of a payoff on the highway.

The gasser CRV is actually pretty good. I'm averaging over 34 mpg these days. Mostly highway, and now suburbs miles. In the burbs during the shut down (with nobody around me) I'd get 38 to and from work.

Hybrids make much more sense on short trips and around town, I don't think there is as much of a payoff on the highway.
My husband would consider a full electric. A good friend has a Tesla. He drove it to Lake Placid in June. On the way back, he and his family didn't stay overnight anywhere. Neither did I but he had to stop to at a Tesla charging station twice to make it home. Also meant he drove down I-95. I much prefer I-88 to I-81 to avoid NJ and Baltimore/DC. There was a Tesla charging station being built in LP, but it wasn't finished yet. The closest charging station was at the Stewarts at Exit 25 on the Northway. Based on his experience and the fact that I like to vacation in the mountains, full electric is not for me.

When I'm home, everything is within 15 miles and day-to-day errands are within 5 miles. When I leave home, a short trip is 200 miles one-way. On a long trip, I can drive 600 miles solo in a day comfortably. So a hybrid seems to make sense.

How far does the Tesla go on a charge? How does it do in the cold?

How long does it take to charge? Do you ever have to wait in line to get a charge?

There was a Tesla charging station being built in LP, but it wasn't finished yet. The closest charging station was at the Stewarts at Exit 25 on the Northway. Based on his experience and the fact that I like to vacation in the mountains, full electric is not for me.
Sounds like a good excuse for an egg nog break

1. Some years back, the wife had a Honda CRV and I was impressed with its carrying capacity.

2. For giggles, I scoped a Tesla Model 3 around a year ago. With optional battery for 300 mile range, they were asking $40k. They said some hotel in LP had EV charging stations. Both the vehicle price and the cost of lodging right in LP are outta my tax bracket.

3. Rheinhardt the diesel Jetta, I can drive from here to LP (300 miles) on slightly less than a half tank of fuel.

We thought about it, but up until very recently, CRV was almost 100% a highway car. Hybrids make much more sense on short trips and around town, I don't think there is as much of a payoff on the highway.

This
Someday electric will be the way to go. We aren't there yet imo.

Look at the Crosstrek hybrid they're pretty sweet.

How far does the Tesla go on a charge? How does it do in the cold?

How long does it take to charge? Do you ever have to wait in line to get a charge?
My friend's Tesla (don't know what model) has a range of 290 miles. As far as I know, he hasn't driven it anywhere north of Washington DC. But he will probably find out about the cold in the next year because his daughter is starting at North Country School in Lake Placid this fall.

It seems to get to full charge in under 30 min at a fast-charging Tesla station. The Stewart's at Exit 25 had more than one station.

They haven't taken too many out of state trips since he got the Tesla. Maybe one trip to Florida and the June trip to Lake Placid is it. So normally he just charges it overnight at home.

Back