Aftermath of Hurricane Helene in the NC mountains, late fall 2024

Hope you're OK @MarzNC
Where I live is fine. It's normally a 4.5-hour drive to the NC/TN border, 3.5 hours to Asheville. No serious issues in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, called the Triangle in NC. The storm system was far west enough that all I got at my house was a couple inches of rain on Friday morning, without high winds. There were low lying spots with flooding since the ground was saturated but very few powder outages.

A mountain biker I like from YouTube lives in the Ashville area. He did a pretty good short report about the storm and his experience.
HIs video is very good! Covers the first 5 days well. From the sign for a business he drove past going to fill gas cans, I could tell he's in Hendersonville (population 15,000). It's about 25 miles south of Asheville. Good to know he got power back relatively quickly. The friend who I've stayed with in the area also lives in Hendersonville. Her house was fine, with a few trees down in the yard and one across the road that her husband dealt with to make sure emergency vehicles could make it through if necessary.

As he discovered, Hendersonville and Brevard were not as in as bad shape as Asheville. Asheville is a city of 100,000 right on the French Broad River. Even a hundred years ago, there were buildings next to the river. In recent years, even more development was quite close. Those areas are a total loss.

A mountain biker I like from YouTube lives in the Ashville area. He did a pretty good short report about the storm and his experience.

From what I've seen on the news the scale of damage is hard to comprehend.

Hope you're OK @MarzNC

I loved riding in Asheville and bervard. This so sad.
I rode with Seth a few years ago. He’s a legit guy.

One of the Ski Divas I know lives in eastern TN, quite close to the NC border. She retired a few years ago from being a ski patroller at Beech Mountain (near Boone, Banner Elk). She's okay. She found this post on Facebook.

Hurricane Helene: A note to friends outside of the South.

We live in Greene County, East Tennessee. Our county’s southern border is the Tennessee-North Carolina state line that runs along the heights of the Appalachian Mountains. We are within the hardest hit region of the U.S.

The questions I have been hearing a lot is why was this so bad, and why weren’t people prepared. I’ll try to answer those questions in the following post.

Hurricane Helene was the strongest hurricane (in recorded history) to hit the Florida panhandle region. It is the deadliest hurricane to hit the United States since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The death toll is over 160 so far. We are still finding bodies, and there are still many, many people missing as I write this today six days after the hurricane hit land.

I work in the emergency department at Greeneville Community Hospital. The hospital itself has been evacuated because we have no water in the majority of the county. We are still running our emergency department as a critical access site for our community. Fortunately, I have a well and didn’t lose electricity for long. I was able to haul water in a 300 gallon tote in the back of my truck to the hospital for the first few days so we could flush toilets and wash hands. It took a few days, but we now have porta-potties and water tanks on trucks to keep the emergency department running.

Under an hour from our hospital to the east, Unicoi County Hospital was flooded requiring patients and providers to be rescued from the roof via helicopter.

Under an hour from our hospital to the south, over the mountains, Asheville, NC has been hit particularly hard.

But why was this region hit so hard?

First, we had a lot of rain before Hurricane Helene even showed up. Depending on the area, we had 7-11 inches of rain in the week before the first storm clouds of the hurricane arrived. This rain saturated the ground and filled ponds and streams.

Then the hurricane arrived. She barreled her way up through the panhandle of Florida, quickly shot through Georgia, and then slowed down and stalled over North Carolina and East Tennessee. And that’s right where we live.

The reason she stalled involves atmospheric pressure conditions that I don’t fully understand, but the result was that this hurricane dropped 20 inches to over 30 inches of rain in some areas… that’s an estimated 40 trillion gallons of rain.

How much is 40 trillion gallons of water?

40 trillion gallons of water is enough to fill the Dallas Cowboy’s stadium 51,000 times.

40 trillion gallons of water is enough to cover the entire state of North Carolina with 3.5 FEET of water.

40 trillion gallons of water is enough to fill 60 MILLION Olympic-sized swimming pools.

40 trillion gallons of water is 619 DAYS of water flowing over Niagara Falls.

So this is an unprecedented amount of rain already falling on an area that had just received ground-saturated rain.

But it wasn’t just the amount of rain, it was the geography of where that rain fell.

The southeastern slopes (of western North Carolina) and the northwestern slopes (of East Tennessee) acted as funnels or rain catchments that directed all this water downhill and concentrated it into streams and rivers running into the valleys. It overflowed these streams and rivers causing massive flooding.

How much flooding?

The French Broad River usually crests at 1.5 feet… but it reached 24.6 feet during the storm.

The Nolichuckey River rose to almost 22 feet. The Nolichuckey River Dam in Greene County, during the peak of the flooding, took on 1.2 MILLION gallons of water per SECOND. Compare that to Niagara Falls which peaks at 700,000 gallons per second. Fortunately, this dam held… but barely, with damage.

Consequences.

The flooding, and all the things the flooding carried with it (large trees, vehicles, buildings, etc.) caused widespread damage. It destroyed homes and businesses. It destroyed roads and bridges. It knocked out power.

This isolated many places for days and days from normal rescue efforts and evacuation plans.

Here in Greene County, the flooding destroyed the intake pump for the county’s primary water supply. We hope they will be able to bring in a temporary pump to bypass the damaged system, but that still may take a couple weeks. In the meantime, most people in the county have no clean water for drinking, washing hands, or bathing, and no water for sanitation.

I have taken care of people in the emergency department who had their homes literally washed away. Everything they own, other than the clothes on their back, has been lost. Many friends have had their homes almost destroyed by flooding and their houses are filled with mud and debris.

And this is just in my immediate area. Other places around us have unfortunately been hit harder.

Why weren’t people prepared?

No one in the mountains of North Carolina or East Tennessee prepares for a hurricane.

It’s kind of like asking why someone in Iowa doesn’t prepare for a tidal wave or why someone in Florida doesn’t prepare for a blizzard. It’s not what happens, like ever.

This was a combination of already rain-saturated ground before the hurricane hit, the hurricane/storm stalling over this region dumping unprecedented amounts of rainfall in a small area, and the geography of mountains channeling and concentrating all this water into the valleys below that created a perfect storm, so to speak, of conditions that caused this disaster.

It couldn’t have been prevented or prepared for.

Please feel free to share this. Hopefully it answers some questions and provides a better understanding of what has happened and why it is so devastating.

Last edited:
SAM has been in touch with folks at Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, and Cataloochee.

October 2, 2024
"
Ski areas in the mountains of western North Carolina appear to have suffered relatively minimal damage from Hurricane Helene, which caused historic flooding after dropping 1-2 feet of rain, or more, through a wide swath of mountain communities in a short time, Sept. 26-27. While operators are still assessing the damage, the primary focus now is on helping their staff and their communities recover.

“The ski area was fortunate to have sustained minimal damage; our damages will be under $100,000,” Appalachian Ski Mountain president Brad Moretz told SAM. “We’ll have a week and a half of cleanup, and some things to fix, replace, and clean, but no major damage to buildings, lifts or snowmaking infrastructure.

“But our local area has been pretty devastated. In the town of Boone (about an 8-mile drive from the ski area), there have been 111 buildings condemned,” he said, adding that he hasn’t heard from any staff members that had catastrophic losses, “but lots of people have lost power, and have road access issues.”
. . ."

Found this story on the Facebook Page North Carolina News. Included a few pictures of broken roads and big trees on houses.

Posted September 30, 2024
Sam Perkins shared his experience of hiking 11 miles and 2,200 feet to check on his parents after Hurricane Helene hit the NC mountains. He found them safe but stranded due to severely damaged roads and infrastructure. The area, known for its scenic views, is now filled with devastation, including destroyed homes and downed trees. Sam expressed his gratitude for finding his parents alive and urged others to be patient as crews work to restore power and access to the affected areas.

Post from Sam " My parents are ok but completely trapped. Yesterday, I hiked up to check on them. Brain spew coming; I'm still processing it all and was just locked in on go-mode yesterday.

Still not having heard from my parents in 48 hours, I was drowning in worry. My parents live in an absolute gem of the NC mountains -- the Little Switzerland, Spruce Pine, Burnsville area -- halfway between Asheville and Boone. Under normal circumstances, it's pleasantly very isolated.

Little did I know that up there, Helene has demolished roads, homes and utility networks. **This area is completely cut off from resources in every direction.** I tried multiple routes to drive up but had to settle on parking in Marion at the base of a closed road (Hwys 221/226) and hiking 11 miles and 2,200 feet to find my parents thankfully ok but surrounded by devastation. I have never been so relieved to see anyone ok.

Crews weren't even close yesterday. I can't tell you how many failing roads and deep mudslides I had to cross, how many fallen trees I had to take off my backpack for and navigate through. While hiking up 226A, I met multiple people trapped by devastation in both directions of the highway.

In this part of the mountains with steep terrain rolling off the Blue Ridge Parkway, not only did water rise, it RAGED to tear up roads, earth and homes. Then, the winds (I'm certain tornados in some places) have brought down up to half the tree canopy.
I'm still processing it all. I've never seen anything like it. Power is a couple weeks out. I cannot fathom how long it will take DOT to repair the curvy roads that hug steep mountainsides with the most amazing views. Most of all, I want my parents to have the same basic needs they always provided me -- food, water, shelter (house is mostly ok) and the ability to explore! But they can't even leave their home right now. The steep part of their gravel road has braided channels only 18" wide but up to 5' deep from rushing water.

It's just a waiting game now. If you are or you have family in the mountains, I feel for you. Know that crews are chipping away."

T-Mobile brought in some SatCOLT trucks (satellite cell on light trucks) for temporary cell service.

Starlink is being used as an alternative to traditional cell service based on fixed cell towers.

First part of this video shows where the road to Chimney Rock from Bat Cave used to be . . . unreal. Starting about 6:30, get to see the wind on Sept. 27 and then what his house on the hill looked like after the rain and wind quit. Only way to get supplies like water to Chimney Rock is by airdrop. The bridge to the town of Lake Lure on the other side of Chimney Rock is gone.

Chimney Rock was a private park that became a NC State Park decades ago. I remember visiting with my parents in the 1970s. The village retail strip (3 blocks long) is across the river from the park. Many buildings that were between the 2-lane highway and the river are a total loss, or not even there any more.

October 2, 2024

This is an interview of a long-time business owner in Chimney Rock. He was airlifted out and ended up in the Triangle area. WRAL is my local TV news source.

October 1, 2024

Last edited:
Why weren’t people prepared? No one in the mountains of North Carolina or East Tennessee prepares for a hurricane. It’s kind of like asking why someone in Iowa doesn’t prepare for a tidal wave or why someone in Florida doesn’t prepare for a blizzard. It’s not what happens, like ever.

* * * *​

This CNN article takes issue with that ^^ comment and features this ironic current photo of a sign commemorating the Flood of 1916 (caused by back-to-back hurricanes). It also mentions tropical storms in 2004 and 2011 that caused catastrophic flooding.

1727950673362.png

I'm always wary of places that become the next big thing for retirees and climate or cost-of-living refugees from southern California, Arizona, coastal Carolinas, etc. and end up on Top 10 lists of "best places to live." Asheville has made those types of lists a lot in recent years and of course the transplants come in with big nest eggs, then longtime residents complain about the town being unaffordable, unrecognizable, and so on. A fascinating quote from the article:

While Helene may have undone the idea of a “climate-safe” city, Tulane University’s Keenan does not believe it will ultimately dampen people’s desire to move here. “I think this is actually going to accelerate this process,” he said. In a tragic twist, disasters like hurricanes “clean the slate” for developers and investors to come from outside and buy up properties relatively cheaply to redevelop into denser, more expensive homes. “People have pretty short memories on this stuff. There are always people who are willing to take a risk,” he said. “This is the story of American post-disaster development."

This CNN article takes issue with that ^^ comment and features this ironic current photo of a sign commemorating the Flood of 1916 (caused by back-to-back hurricanes). It also mentions tropical storms in 2004 and 2011 that caused catastrophic flooding.
The long statement that included not getting ready for a hurricane in the NC/TN mountains was written by someone in TN. Hard to know what happened on that side of the mountains during the 1916 flood of the French Broad River in Asheville.

That said, it's pretty clear the city of Asheville was not as prepared as might be expected. However, they tried. I read that at least one of the water treatment plants had a backup line because of earlier flood situations in the last few decades. In this case, that was damaged too.

There are unfortunately plenty of stories of fatalities coming out where the people refused to evacuate, presumably because they didn't believe it would be that bad for their particular location. One GoFundMe is for a woman who lost her husband. Their house was pushed off its foundation into the raging river, while they were sitting in the house. As the house came apart, they ended up in the water. An old man died while his younger relatives watched but were helpless to help. His sister who lived next door evacuated. He refused to leave his trailer even when emergency folks were at his door ready to take him somewhere safe. One would think someone would watch the rise of the water and not assume it wouldn't reach. I caught a TV news clip and interview last night of a woman who was making a video outside her home when a mudslide came straight down the hill above the house. That couple still had a working car after that, but the other car is toast and the house is a mess. Her husband had been trying to get her to get inside, but she just didn't expect what happened.

I'm always wary of places that become the next big thing for retirees and climate or cost-of-living refugees from southern California, Arizona, coastal Carolinas, etc. and end up on Top 10 lists of "best places to live." Asheville has made those types of lists a lot in recent years and of course the transplants come in with big nest eggs, then longtime residents complain about the town being unaffordable, unrecognizable, and so on.
This reality is a factor for Asheville, especially for the River Arts district. That area was a low rent former industrial area right next to the railroad tracks. Re-development took a decade and only finished a few years ago. There have been storms since then, but nothing like what happened before, during, and after Helene. Not just a 100-year type situation, but the saying is a 1000-year situation. Of course, the hurricane creation situation in the Atlantic is not what it was 100 or 200 years ago.

For Asheville, there are plenty of artsy folks who migrated there in the last decade or two who are not well off. They are the people who work in food service to make ends meet. Being a college town, there are also folks who simply stayed after graduation. My sense is that started quite some time earlier. Asheville, Brevard, and Boone have been summer tourist destinations since before WW II.

The NC mountains have been a destination for retirees with money for a few decades. As has the Triangle area. My mother was slightly ahead of the curve. She opted to move from NYC to Chapel Hill in the early 1970s. There wasn't even one mall in the Triangle until the mid-1970s. New construction had central A/C but older houses didn't. Retirement communities with assisted living options started being built in the late 1970s. She had made friends who moved into the first one in Chapel Hill. The growth of planned neighborhoods for Over 50 didn't start in earnest until the 1990s.

Back