The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

With the storm track staying farther west, looks like Vermont dodged a bullet this time. As of 10:30am the remnant storm center low is about to leave PA and enter central NY.

Blew through VA fairly fast this morning. Massanutten got plenty of rain. The summit rainfall total for the past 24 hours is 4.5 inches.

August 9, 2024, 7am
"
Northern New York can expect 2 to 4 inches of rain, with locally higher amounts up to 6 inches. This area faces the highest risk of flash flooding and river flooding.

Most of Vermont will likely see 1 to 3 inches of rain, with locally higher amounts possible. The flash flood and river flooding risk is lower in Vermont, especially in far southern and eastern areas.
Still, isolated flash floods are possible — especially in vulnerable areas like the Northeast Kingdom.

The heaviest rain will fall from roughly 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday. Rain will quickly taper late Friday night, long before the sun even rises on Saturday.
. . ."

Just returned to Saranac Lake from Brattleboro VT. Route 30 in VT was fine. In NY I drove Route 22 -> Route 9N to Elizabethtown. Ausable River running high and fast, but I dodged the worst of it. Lots of flooding in Keene, Keene Valley, and North Hudson. Wild videos on FB.

Parts of NY's Southern Tier as well Northern PA got hit hard, too.

Locally we had some high winds again. Buddy of mine had 2 trees come down, one on his new truck, and the other on his girlfriend's car. He also had the power ripped right off his house.

Debbie was a total bitch

1726705167650.jpeg

Last edited:
Has become standard practice to use snowmaking systems as much as practical when wild fire threatens a ski area. Still need to be very lucky when it comes to how a fire is spread by high winds. Sierra-at-Tahoe wasn't lucky in 2021. There were lessons learned, such as not counting on a building to protect expensive equipment. At the very least, employees may be more likely to take their own tools away when there is a fire threat. I remember fundraising effort to help replace personal tools that were lost.

March 2023

The wildfire discussion just made me think of this video I watched that was captured from the helicopter rescue pilots viewpoint. It's pretty intense and captivating. Superb piloting with obstacle danger and close to bingo fuel. Job really well done!

Back