The overland craze is out of control

Has anyone driven a Kia? How do they compare to comparable Toyotas or Hondas?

How are the motors?
Wife has a '21 Telluride. Great car. The interior is clearly inspired by another european brand. She's already put like 70,000 miles on it. The only complaint is Carplay sometimes disconnects but that's a first world problem. Kia dealers are really hit or miss if you are getting service there. It seems like Kia is a victim of their own success and haven't built out the expertise to work on a higher quality product yet.

“Some who venture up there are complete ass clowns.”
-San Miguel County Sheriff’s Department

Yep

We have these idiots around here, too. Mainly in winter they'll go on seasonal roads, get stuck, trash the road, and spen big bucks to get pulled oout by a snowmobile groomer.

After purchasing 3 new Outbacks since 2009 (‘09, ‘13 and ‘17), my wife defected, wanted to try something different. Got herself a 2024 Mazda CX-50 2.5 S Premium today. Friday is going to be a day for both of us to learn Mazda.
I like where they're going with this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_215138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_215138_Chrome.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 56
Wife has a '21 Telluride. Great car. The interior is clearly inspired by another european brand. She's already put like 70,000 miles on it. The only complaint is Carplay sometimes disconnects but that's a first world problem. Kia dealers are really hit or miss if you are getting service there. It seems like Kia is a victim of their own success and haven't built out the expertise to work on a higher quality product yet.

A Kia Niro owner I was chatting with told me that Kia hired one of the lead designers from Audi, which explains why the Niro looks a lot like an A4 wagon, and could explain the Telluride interior.

@Harvey - we have a Kia Rio, which has the same engine as the Hyundai Elantra and a few others in that family. The car is pretty basic but the engine is super reliable and peppy. For a small car, it bombs along well at highway speeds. Overall, the car is very economical to own. Just bought a used Mazda 3 Sport hatchback, which will likely be more fun to drive.

Last edited:
A Kia Niro owner I was chatting with told me that Kia hired one of the lead designers from Audi, which explains why the Niro looks a lot like an A4 wagon, and could explain the Telluride interior.

@Harvey - we have a Kia Rio, which has the same engine as the Hyundai Elantra and a few others in that family. The car is pretty basic but the engine is super reliable and peppy. For a small car, it bombs along well at highway speeds. Overall, the car is very economical to own. Just bought a used Mazda 3 Sport hatchback, which will likely be more fun to drive.
The designer is Peter Schreyer and he was hired away from VW AG by Kia in 2006. He is now one of the Presidents of the Hyundai Motor Group.

80 is about the max you can get away with around here, even on the Northway.

Agreed. Every couple weeks or so, I'm driving back to NJ to see my kiddo or play music. NY state troopers ain't playing. A lot more enforcement on the northway than 10 years ago.

Back