Building a House with Wood

Rock wool: I may do the same. Does it have backing? Is it loose or solid? Do you have a pic of the install?

Supposed to be better than pink fiberglass.
No backing

It was similar to fiberglass insulation but felt/looked denser.

No pics

How come you are making decisions about insulation now?

Because it hasn't been decided yet and will need to be decided soon. I should have made them sooner? Not sure what you mean.

If that blows your mind we might be changing the floor plan, adding to it. 🤠

At this point decisions are coming fast and furious. Pretty much every decision gets presented to me, and I start googling pros and cons. It's kind of exhausting.

Code says ceiling must be foam. Walls can be whatever, I think. Need to decide.

Because it hasn't been decided yet and will need to be decided soon. I should have made them sooner? Not sure what you mean.

If that blows your mind we might be changing the floor plan, adding to it.

Code says ceiling must be foam. Walls can be whatever, I think. Need to

Nice

Now is definitely the time to do it! That's what I kept hearing from my buddy who helped me redo my kitchen.

At this point decisions are coming fast and furious. Pretty much every decision gets presented to me, and I start googling pros and cons. It's kind of exhausting.

Code says ceiling must be foam. Walls can be whatever, I think. Need to decide.
When we where going to build on, we had all the specs (including the insulation) in the drawings in order to get quotes. Certainly things can change, but insulation is a pretty basic item.

When we where going to build on, we had all the specs (including the insulation) in the drawings in order to get quotes. Certainly things can change, but insulation is a pretty basic item.

Was that in NY?

The drawings spec foam for the ceilings. That's all. It's code in NY I'm told (R38 ceilings).

Quotes... seems like a thing of the past. My builder would not work on a quote. Time and materials only. Builders with fixed bids went under when materials doubled in the last few during/after covid.

No question it makes me anxious.

But also allows me to make changes. As mentioned upthread, my designer didn't think things through, we have been forced to make some changes on the fly.

Was that in NY?

The drawings spec foam for the ceilings. That's all. It's code in NY I'm told (R38 ceilings).

Quotes... seems like a thing of the past. My builder would not work on a quote. Time and materials only. Builders with fixed bids went under when materials doubled in the last few during/after covid.

But also allows me to make changes. As mentioned upthread, my designer didn't think things through, we have been forced to make some changes on the fly.
NJ.
There might be different framing needs for different types of insulation.
Spray foam vs foam board vs blown in vs rolls/batts. Lots of choices.

NY code has a required R factor for walls and ceilings. I forget exactly what the R factor is for each. The R factor is different for new construction verse existing. How you get to that R factor is up to you. Building a home is a process. It is never to early to plan it out. Harv don't forget to run the ceiling speaker wire before the spray foam. you want ass kicking tunes in your new pad..

Was that in NY?

Wait so you don't know what you total is gong to be?! Or is it a budget or maximum price adjusted on actual cost? (Cost+/GMP)

Wait so you don't know what you total is gong to be?! Or is it a budget or maximum price adjusted on actual cost? (Cost+/GMP)
Yeah I figured someone would notice this. There was a napkin estimate, but it's clearly low.

If there was a old style contract it would have been revised multiple times already. One of the biggest unknowns was the blasting and site prep.

If I fucked up it will be obvious soon enough. I had no other option, if I wanted to use the builder I know and trust.

Back