Wurzeralm, AT: 02/05/19

jamesdeluxe

I had a slightly more ambitious itinerary for Day 3, starting with a 25-minute drive through the nearby city of Liezen including a mountain road that was buried from the huge storms in early January.

001.jpg

With absolutely no road signs indicating its existence, I arrived at Wurzeralm (VOORTZAH AHLM), a comparatively smaller ski area that I'd seen in a gorgeous Alpinforum trip report a year earlier. Arriving at the base area at 9:30, I could see that the school break was resulting in a fair amount of business: the parking lots were already more than 2/3 full ("besetzt"):
029.jpg

As I walked to the funicular that takes you to midmountain, It was clear that an inversion was in effect. Temps at the bottom in the shade were a chilly 6F; however, the summit was already claiming high 20s. They really should consider replacing this huge visual with the ghastly 1970s logo, which doesn't suit this low-key local's mountain with zero onsite lodging:
002.jpg

This gondola was replaced in 1978:
024b.jpg

Riding up in the funicular:
025.jpg

I saw dozens of people skinning up the entire day, including this gentleman who looked to be in his 70s:
028.jpg

While there's a modest number of marked trails, many are long, the offpiste areas are decent-sized, and the T2B lift-served is a legitimate 3,800 verts with two distinct ways to the base. The blue valley run on the looker's left was especially fun.
1_327.png

Arriving at midmountain and connecting to the upper lifts, which serve 1,700 vertical feet:
027.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Coming down from the top. The groomed trails were like velvet and the offpiste was perfect bootcuff-deep.
010.jpg

017.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Veering off into shaded areas:
019.jpg

020.jpg

There were beautiful gladed sectors with lightly tracked low-angle pow to play in:
009.jpg

015.jpg

Around noon, I stopped for a quick beer in the sun:
022.jpg

Wurzeralm definitely counts as a little ski area that rocks, both visually and for turns. With some local guidance, I could've easily spent the afternoon clucking around the offpiste; however, I wanted to hit a nearby partner ski area (included in the day pass) that afternoon, so I'll cover that in a separate report.

Last edited:
Back