Windham, NY: 03/30/11

jamesdeluxe

I had a few days off before starting a new job, so I headed up to Windham for what looked like perfect spring conditions, and that’s what I got.

file.jpg

As has been reported here, it’s been a cold late March in the East and legitimate spring days haven’t been that plentiful, but Wednesday couldn’t have been better: cloudless skies, soft sugar from top to bottom, and a deserted mountain:
file.jpg

file.jpg

Even the natural snow trails were covered edge to edge. Those aren’t snow guns on the skier’s left, but bent-over birch trees from an ice storm, I assume:
file.jpg

Lunch was nice and relaxed on the picnic tables:
file.jpg

During the afternoon, I moved over to the East Peak, which was skiing even better than the main slopes:
file.jpg

I wrapped things up with an excellent happy hour at Cave Mountain Brewing Company. FYI, Cave Mountain was the hill’s original name before they changed it to Windham.
file.jpg

With two HSQs, I really piled up the 1,400-ish vertical runs. No one talks much about Windham on the internet because it’s mainly a cruiser hill, but the resort does a nice job delivering what its clientele wants. And on a day like that, high-speed velvety groomers worked for me.

Last edited:
Back