Whistler Blackcomb, BC: 3/8/21

takeahike46er

If I learned anything from my first visit to Whistler as a new resident of BC, it was A) avoid weekends at all costs, and B) if I do go on weekends, be prepared to lineup at 7:30 to get to the alpine at a decent hour. So when three feet of snow fell over the period from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon, I opted for A): Monday leftovers in the sunshine.

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

The southeastern exposure of the Sun Bowl made for heavier snow

The lightly tracked faces in the Flute Bowls immediately caught my attention. While in line for the Symphony chair, a guy was raving about his run in the Flute Bowl. That sealed the deal for me. I was hiking!

IMG_3780.jpeg

The start of the hike to the Flute summit on the right

IMG_3786.jpeg

On the Flute ridgetop

IMG_3808.jpeg

Blackcomb and the 7th Heaven Chair from Encore Ridge

IMG_3807.jpeg

Nothing but cold, deep fluff on this face

IMG_3839.jpeg

Even the lower mountain at the end of the day was skiing well

Last edited:
Those are some yummy leftovers. Sweet shots!

Spectacular.

Boy those pics are nice.

Last edited:
Nice. haven't been there in a few years, makes me want to book a trip, NOW!. Last trip I had a local who brought us to stashes of nice boot deep many days after it had snowed, and that was in early April.

From the article:
Whistler’s notorious housing shortage has also probably played a role in the spread.
“Because rent is so crazy, you have people living in closets and sometimes as many as eight people sharing a place,” said Koch, who shares a flat with three other roommates.

And this: F*ck Vail.

From the article:
Whistler-Blackcomb was formed by Intrawest, a company that originated in Whistler itself, was run by local residents of the town, and employers of the company knew people in the community. As this ownership was a part of the town for more than 20 years, earning the respect from locals with deals and good salaries.

Maybe Intrawest was respected at Whistler; however, I remember it being mentioned on ski forums during the 00s with the same disdain as American Ski Company.

Back