We took the Plattekill Challenge January 28th 2011

Country Gun

We have much to be thankful for on this 25th anniversary of the space shuttle challenger diaster. Twenty five year ago I was a non skier, 25 years ago I only had apart time job and 25 years ago I did not have the honor of being a parent and enjoying the day of skiing I had at Plattekill with my two young sons. Friday Jan 28th.

Plattekill_004.jpg

The Tickets

Our first visit to Plattekill was on my 40th birthday back in 2007 and since then our experience with the place gets better and better with each trip. My son Caleb, 12 years old, never skis the same line down this mountain twice and is always exploring the endless skiable lines thru the woods, down the bike paths and anywhere else his two skis will fit.

We arrived at the mountain just before the lifts started turning at this in the crowd that we found on a Friday morning with customer appreciation $15 TICKETS

Plattekill_002.jpg

No lines

Caleb and I love Plattekill for it terrain it has and how big the 1100 ft of vertical skis. Today, having his little brother along Derek, just turned 6 but has been skiing since age 2, Caleb and I has a new appreciation of this mountain as Derek has ripped Elk, Belleayre, Camelback and Hunter with out fear but today a few trails slowed him down.

Plattekill_020.jpg

@Country Gun and Derek

Plattekill_011.jpg

Looking down

Plattekill_005.jpg

Plattekill never disappoints and on this day it beat any of our expectations. At the end of the day we even got to see some of NYs' best high school racers racing and hittin the park.

Plattekill_012.jpg

A flat box

Caleb even got the honor at the end of the day, as Derek and I retired. As a couple Local riders asked him to ride with them! As my saying goes "If you want to spend quality time with your kids, Teach them to ski or snowboard, the rewards will be endless!!

Plattekill_017.jpg

Looking up Blockbuster

Plattekill_007.jpg

The line

I just watched that vid for the first time. That is solid.

I love the classic moment where @Country Gun realizes he's going to have to leave the kids behind to complete the mission.

Sweet run man. Was it as fast as it looked?

Seemed to me that you were in some tight spots, and made some great moves to scrub speed.

I just watched that vid for the first time. That is solid.

I love the classic moment where @Country Gun realizes he's going to have to leave the kids behind to complete the mission.

Sweet run man. Was it as fast as it looked?

Seemed to me that you were in some tight spots, and made some great moves to scrub speed.

I wish I could lie but that skier was my son Caleb. He sucks compared to my youngest son Derek. They both love Platty and Gore, all because of the trees.

Back