Wanted: Used Telemark Gear for Kids

toddscott

Hi, My son just turned 11 and wants to try telemark next year. Does anyone know where I find a swap or a consignment shop that might have equipment for kids? Thanks.

I will take a stab at this one. I will start by not answering the question. What has he got now? If he likes them, rip those bindings off and mount those boards up with the bindings from your rock skis. Does he still have tiny feet? He can have good boots, not too expensive on ebay, or on closeout, maybe even your local shop (play-it-again? they never have anything I want, but I've seen stuff they had online that would do). He's got big feet right? Many boys do--he is going in your old boots with double socks, and congratulations, you just got a new boot budget!

Really, since the pandemic used gear is so overpriced and thrashed while overall the amount of new product appears much reduced leading to more high prices. Replacement costs (don't break your gear!) seem to have doubled or even tripled over the last few years. Good luck. I hope he likes it.

Thanks, Capt. Those are good recommendations. My son is currently a size 6 and we don't have any local shops where I live. I was hoping someone from the forum might be able to recommend a consignment shop or telemark swap somewhere in the Northeast.

Hi, My son just turned 11 and wants to try telemark next year. Does anyone know where I find a swap or a consignment shop that might have equipment for kids? Thanks.
I have bought used gear from the ski shop at Cascade XC in the past. They had a small consignment area that was generally hit or miss but sometimes you could score something, mostly old leather. I haven’t been there since the AMC took ownership but apparently the shop is still open (sadly the bar has closed). Maybe check out the Mountaineer in Keene too. Not sure about kid’s stuff. They rent telemark equipment and often sell it at the end of the season. If you rent something for the day they usually will apply the cost to a new package if you choose to buy. Either way it might be worth a phone call to see what’s available. Both places have helpful staff that are more than willing to answer questions when they are not too busy. Best of luck with your search.

Last edited:
I have bought used gear from the ski shop at Cascade XC in the past. They had a small consignment area that was generally hit or miss but sometimes you could score something, mostly old leather. I haven’t been there since the AMC took ownership but apparently the shop is still open (sadly the bar has closed). Maybe check out the Mountaineer in Keene too. Not sure about kid’s stuff. They rent telemark equipment and often sell it at the end of the season. If you rent something for the day they usually will apply the cost to a new package if you choose to buy. Either way it might be worth a phone call to see what’s available. Both places have helpful staff that are more than willing to answer questions when they are not too busy. Best of luck with your search.
Thanks so much for the recommendations. I will give those places a call to see what they have. Cheers.

If you are on Facebook check out Telemark Ski Gear Exchange they frequently have young adult equipment.

Thanks! I think that was the rumored consignment shop that I had heard about but didn't know where to find it. With any luck, my guy will be ripping it up on tele skis next year!

Hey Todd, I am in the same boat as you. My 10-year-old son just learn to ski at Belleayre and is now dying to telemark. I don’t have any answers to your question, but if you find equipment, it sounds like my son is one size behind yours and I’d love to get in line for any equipment yours outgrows. also I’m sure my son would love to meet another ski buddy especially one who wants to telemark as well. Also, if you’re looking to meet any other telemarkers, my dad has been skiing telemark at Belleayre for over 30 years and after not skiing for almost 20 years I think I’l be getting back on some telles myself next year.

Hey Todd, I am in the same boat as you. My 10-year-old son just learn to ski at Belleayre and is now dying to telemark. I don’t have any answers to your question, but if you find equipment, it sounds like my son is one size behind yours and I’d love to get in line for any equipment yours outgrows. also I’m sure my son would love to meet another ski buddy especially one who wants to telemark as well. Also, if you’re looking to meet any other telemarkers, my dad has been skiing telemark at Belleayre for over 30 years and after not skiing for almost 20 years I think I’l be getting back on some telles myself next year.
Hi Sarah, Great to hear from you. We ski at Belleayre almost every weekend. Let's take a few runs and see if our kids want to learn to tele together. You will usually find us at the Overlook Lodge. Cheers!

Back