Visperterminen, CH: 02/01/22

jamesdeluxe

Following a less than ideal visit to Grächen on Monday -- overcast, rock-hard conditions, half of the upper lifts not operating, an unexpected regional holiday with hordes of families (no need to take photos or write a report) -- I got things back on track with an enjoyable day at the community ski area of Visperterminen.

As always, you start with a twisty drive more than 3,000 vertical feet uphill from the town of Visp in the Rhône Valley:
20220201_093254.jpg

Wine grapes on mountainsides: very typical throughout the region. I discovered that Visperterminen is home to Europe's highest vineyard. Who knew?
20220201_093623.jpg

After the previous day's unpleasant encounter with lots of people, it was shocking to drive into a completely deserted town (literally no one on the streets, no cars moving about, nuthin!). I left my car 30 yards from the ticket office in an empty parking area. Looking at the ski map, while there are close to 3,000 verts total, the top 1,200 feet are what's usually in play unless you're arriving after a big dump.
20220201_100830.jpg

10 am: I took my time booting up in front of the RFID turnstile -- not something you'd do at most ski areas.
20220201_101100.jpg

One of the few t-bar rides all day with other people in front of me:
20220201_103524.jpg

2/3 of the way up, a 45-degree turn on a t-bar. Very common in Europe; however, I don't think I've ever run into that in North America:
20220201_103850.jpg

After forgetting to recharge it, my phone battery died so I didn't get many photos. The five inches that fell overnight were scoured by strong wind gusts; however, the groomers were soft and I had a few worthwhile runs in the offpiste.
20220201_093127.jpg

Nice views to the north:
20220201_093342.jpg

20220201_093664.jpg

With a dead phone, I wasn't able to display my COVID certificate at the mid-mountain lodge (you can't enter without it); however, with a KN95 mask, the cashier let me grab some food and take it outside, which was very pleasant in the sun. By 1 pm, high cloud cover moved in and I called it a day at 2.

For the record (if it appears that I'm exclusively hitting small, unknown areas during this trip), I plan to ski the Big Show in these parts, the Aletsch Arena, on Thursday and Friday when it's supposed to be mostly sunny and warmer.

Last edited:
Looks like another stellar chill day
And I was actually at the Visp train station
It’s a cool name

Some good stuff

Hey no rosti

There seem to be a lot of surface lifts. Are those mainly at the more remote areas or spread throughout Europe?
Thank you for the pictures, as always.

There seem to be a lot of surface lifts. Are those mainly at the more remote areas or spread throughout Europe?
You're seeing a lot of surface lifts because so far I've been going primarily to local's areas -- basically, Alps versions of Hickory or Bobcat but with more vertical and skiable acreage. I love those kind of places but in the U.S., almost all of them are on the NELSAP list. Here, most of them are still around.

Outside of the local's areas, lift infrastructure at the medium, large, and monster places here is usually so far ahead of the U.S.; it's laughable. @Face4Me probably has some observations after his recent visit.

I agree with james
I rode lifts that would blow your mind

Back