Val d'Isere, FR: 01/28/24 - Tour du Charvet

jamesdeluxe

With continued high-and-dry weather conditions following the surprisingly strong offpiste runs that we did in the Desert Country sector on Saturday, I asked our guide Sylvio from the French Ski School (ESF) if he thought that we could pull another rabbit out of our hat for Sunday. He said that we should check out Val d'Isere's well-known Tour du Charvet: "a nice, mellow glide through the beautiful back country." That ended up being a good description of it.

We started with a photo of the three américains at the photo-op area then headed behind the offpiste signs in the background:
20240128_095749.jpg

With the sun shining overhead, we dropped onto a southeast-facing pitch:
DSC00383.jpg

Following Sylvio's lead, we started our descent into a number of rolling bowls and meadows. Conditions were hard and fast because the sun is still at such a low angle, so good thing for me that it wasn't steep. I bet that by noon it would've softened nicely.
IMG_4455.jpg

Dropping further:
IMG_4458.jpg

Tony carrying speed on the lower slope:
IMG-20240128-WA0001.jpg

Finally, we saw a creek in the shade on the valley floor:
IMG_4459.jpg

20240128_102644.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

Sylvio pointed out examples of local wildlife and eventually pulled out his camera:
IMG_4463.jpg

... to take a photo of these five chamois (a species of goat-antelope native to European mountains) on a sunny outcropping a thousand feet up.
IMG_4469a.jpg

Next up was a bit of unexpected adventure: negotiating a narrow, rutted half-mile-long exit trail along the creek, riddled with icy avalanche debris. With dull edges on my skis, about the only thing I could do to stay in control was a power wedge. Here I am when it flattens out at the end, almost bow-legged.
IMG_4473.jpg

We eventually found our way back to the ski area proper:
IMG_4481.jpg

And finished with an excellent lunch:
IMG_4482.jpg

Thanks to @TonyC for most of the pix.

Last edited:
Attaboy (y) Very nice!
Ya’ve come a long way for a Camillus Ski Hill rope towed hockey player.
There’s something to be said for that.

Wander-bar
Sharpen zee edges
OMGoodness
Such crowds
Be careful of the Chamois
Just awesomely
2 more days?

Attachments

• IMG_6083.jpeg
    IMG_6083.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 51